1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe dehumidifier rod

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

What's your opinion on a safe dehumidifier? Is it worth the $32 that Cabelas is asking for it?

Thanks
    Craig
    [​IMG]

2. B V

B V TS Member

22.94 on Amazon.com

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I too have wondered about these. I use the disposable/rechargeable cans but wanted something better. Is this better?? How does it work??--Matt

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

From the description, you place it at the bottom of the safe and it warms to 150 degrees. As the warm air rises, it creates a circulation of air within the safe thus drying out the air, at least that's what the manufacturer claims.

It kinda makes sense.

Blueraven

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The rods simply heat the air around them and lower the humidity. A 25 watt light bulb or a simple plug in bathroom night light will do about the same thing. If you live in a high humidity area (I did in Florida for 15 years) a 25 - 40 watt light will keep the air warm and dry. An old friend of mine suggested moth balls in the safe as well...They work great keeping off surface rust in tool boxes and safes ... I just am not thrilled with the odor of moth balls. My mother was from England and she stored EVERYTHING in moth balls! Hence, the smell is not one of my favorites...

For you motorhome folks out there if you put a handful of mothballs in a small glass jar with a few holes in the lid,put it in the water heater compartment, it will keep spiders from nesting in your water heater! They like it when its not fired up and will muck up the heater with their webs.

Bob Schultz

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

The rods work. I have one in my safe and Ive never had a gun rust.

7. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

The gold rods work , had one in my safe for 7 years . Nice and dry in there.

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well here in Nebraska we don't have a huge humidity problem, but if $30 can help protect a few thousand $$ in weapons, I think it's worth it.

Looks like I'm off to Cabelas tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Craig

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

I've used them for many years. Here in the Florida Keys it's a must.

10. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Think about it!!!! IT will dry out the wood on your guns and it evaporates all the oils. Don't you dare put a watch or camera in it will ruin both over time. What part of COOL DRY place thats hard to understand. If you cannot keep your house cool and dry for some reason use a small light bulb (night lite size) or moisture packs. Besides who wants an electrical device in your safe that can short and cause fire.

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I live on the Southern California coast where Golded Rods are commom and are used as dihumidfiers in all sorts of applicationsm particularly on boats. I have 12" and 24' units in my twenty four gun Cannon safe since 1988 and 24" (15 watt) in my twelve gun safe with no problems.

Depending on safe size and weather, you like me, may require more than one unit to protect your guns in extreme condidtions.

I know of no light bulb that will last twenty two years. They're a great product and worth every penny.

Surfer

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

ONE EYE Quotes:
    "Think about it!!!! IT will dry out the wood on your guns and it evaporates all the oils"

"use a small light bulb (night lite size) "

"Besides who wants an electrical device in your safe that can short and cause fire."
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Are all these warnings spoken from experience with this product??
    How is this said light bulb(night lite size)gonna be powered?? HuH??

How often do you see oil dry out? I've seen oil run off and out of a gun, but a gun with routine maintenance should never have oil dry up. We are not talking about 2500 degree heated air out of this thing.---Matt

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been in my safe for maybe 17 years without issues. I supplement the goldenrod, now that I'm in wet Oregon, with a moisture collector called "Dri-Z-Air". This plastic tub holds material in a container above the tub and collects an amazing amount of water from the air over weeks in the safe. They can be found in hardware and home stuff stores and plenty cheap to maintain. Ask for it by name......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. psfive

psfive Member

I use a Goldenrod in my safe. They work. The temperature and humidity in my safe run 70 degrees and 35%. Never had rust ever. Outside the temperature is 70 degrees and the humidity is closer to 50%. The only difference inside to outside is the lack of excessive moisture inside the safe. Paul in Nebraska.

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have used a goldenrod in my safe for over 11 years now and absolutely no rust. I don't recall what I paid for it, but I feel it was a good purchase!
    Allen

16. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Surfer,
    I am not sure but if a light bulb is turned on and not turned off it may last for twenty years? Light bulbs on fail when turned on right? If the filiment is not tampered with it may be ok? Just a thought.
    Jim

17. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I have used one for twenty years without any rusting of weapons in my safe..I live in the humid coastal SC

18. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I've had one in my safe for more than 20 years without any problems at all. My dried out old wood still looks brand new. Rick

19. andybull

andybull Active Member

need to shoot more;

In the winter I leave a lit 60 watt bulb in a small room (5x10) that houses the water heater and pressure holding tank up in the mountains. I was told this will keep the water from freezing, I doubt it. It rarely lasts more than two seasons.

20. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

You might want to take a look at a dehumidifier called EVA-DRY. It's what I used and works great. You don't have to drill a hole in your safe, which ruins the fire rating when you do.You simply place it in the safe when it becomes loaded with moister it turns a different color and you pug it in to an electrical socket to dry it out.Just another option.

www.EVA-DRY.com

Josh Andersen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can gun safe dehumidifiers cause a fire inside the safe

can keeping a dimidifier on all night cause fire