1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sad news about a game warden.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Please remember his family in prayer.

FAIRFIELD, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania Game Commission officer was shot to death in the line of duty, sparking a search for a man police say should be considered armed and dangerous.

The wildlife conservation officer was shot and killed Thursday night in Freedom Township, southwest of Gettysburg, game commission spokesman Jerry Feaser said Friday. Feaser declined to discuss details of the shooting or release the slain officer's name.

State police were searching for a 27-year-old man they wanted to interview about the shooting. Authorities labeled the man, Christopher Lynn Johnson, a "person of interest." He may be injured and in need of medical treatment and should be considered armed and dangerous, authorities said. Police are also looking for a 1999 blue Chevrolet pickup.

"This was a malicious act," Feaser told The Associated Press. The last time a game commission officer was killed in the line of duty was 1915, he said.

Online court records list a Christopher Lynn Johnson with a history of burglary convictions and a 2005 guilty plea to a charge of fleeing an officer and endangering the welfare of children.

Authorities were called to the scene around 10:30 p.m. Thursday and discovered the officer fatally wounded, state police said.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I wore law enforcement uniforms, on the road, for 23 years before injuries put an end to that. One of my best buddies was a Fish and Game officer in California. Over lunch one day, he pointed out just how potentially dangerous their job was, no matter what state or province, in that they were always dealing with seriously armed individuals out in the boonies, without backup or witnesses, and at that time with rarely more than a .38 Spl. on their hip. And, of course, they were/are generally contacting these folks because of unlawful behavior. Kudos to all of them and regrets for this brave officer......Bob Dodd

3. roger8918

roger8918 Member

This happened less the an hour from my house in an area that we hunt in. I never had the pleasure of meeting Officer Grove but I have some friends who said "he was one hellva guy who made it his priorty to stop poaching" ....he will be missed.

4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

My prayers to his family. I hope they catch the low life that did this and give him the death penalty. An eye for an eye.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Johnson was arrested today.

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I grew up in PA. Where you have Game Wardens and I belive Fish Wardens and then deputies who are "VOLUNTEERS" They all usually wear a vest and cary at least a 9mm. I alwasy respect these fellows because they are often alone and in remote areas where radios do not work well let alone cel-phones. I also belive that Game Wardens in PA have the same authority as the State Police so I hope they track down the "Person of Interest" and he resisits.....

Ronbo

7. recurvyarcher

I hear from the people in my old neighborhood (nearby) that Dave was trying to catch a poacher who had been poaching at night and it was after dark. Probably even more dangerous then. He was a really nice guy. Only in his early 30s...looked much younger.
    This poacher should get the death penalty!

Here is a pic I have of Dave:

recurvyarcher_2008_030382.jpg

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Devi, do you have any details about this. Break-em all. Jeff

9. recurvyarcher

I've been emailing back and forth. The only thing else that I know is that the shooter had previously been in trouble with the law, and it was possibly for violent acts (but this is heresay, mind you). Also, that this guy is from the next county over (I don't know which one).

If I hear anything else, I'll let you know.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I'll keep checking back as will others I'm sure. Break-em all. Jeff

11. recurvyarcher

I did a websearch just now and found the article above.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Thank you Devi. Such a shame.

13. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

was stated on TV tonight that a crime like this on ANY uniformed law enforcement officer automatically carries the death penalty.

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

It's a good thing this didn't happen in NY. The libs that run this state don't think anyone should get the "chair". 2 NY State Troopers were killed in the line of duty a few years ago and the scumbags are being cared for on a daily basis at taxpayer expense for the rest of their lives. Larry Evans

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Probably got miffed he was getting ticketed for shooting a rabbit out of season.

16. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Not funny Brian. They should not execute this guy. Use all his body parts for sick kids. Only use for this garbage. My heart goes out to Officer Grove's family and he is a hero in my mind. Al Baker

17. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Arrested Friday morning at a hunting camp was Christopher Lynn Johnson, of Fairfield. Prosecutors say they expect to charge the 27-year-old with first degree murder and seek the death penalty.

A 19-year-old man, Ryan Laumann, who police said was with Johnson and who police are calling a cooperating witness, has not been charged.

“It’s particularly dangerous work,” said Frank Pawlowski, Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner. “He’s by himself in a car ... he’s out on lonely, dark roads. And more often than not, he’s dealing with individuals who are armed.”

18. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

A bit more on above!

Police said officer David Grove, 31, was patrolling near Eisenhower National Historic Site in Adams County when he spotted a pickup truck whose occupants, using a spotlight, found and shot a young buck. Grove called for backup but was found dead by responding officers.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

How many deer are worth the life of one warden!!

20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Sad as all get out. My heart and prayers go out to Officer Grove's family. I hope this felon gets the death penalty. Using body parts off the felon would cause an ethical problem. Hanging was a good way to remove trash from our society, cost effective and to the point,it also set examples to those who might consider taking the life of another human.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bob warden trapshooter

penna state police commissioner should not wear uniform facebook page

what type of vest does maine game wardens wear