1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sad day for Dan Wheldon and the IRL

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

With some sad news that I just got a text from the IRL race in Vegas, Dan Wheldon passed away as a result of his wreck today. Say a prayer for him and his family as it is going to be a rough time.

ss

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

nothing has been posted yet from the medical center.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Trust me on this one. It came from a member of the crew.

ss

4. BigM-Perazzi

They just confirmed it. Sad.. horrendous wreck..

5. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Terrible crash, Best wishes to his loved ones

6. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends.. He made his home in St Pete Florida.. and was one of the nicest racers I have even seen interviewed .. Always had a smile and kind words.

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YcAZ7I_lk7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jerbear

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

One of the worst I've ever seen. Such a hard day for racing.

9. pdq

pdq Member

The wreck happened only 12 laps into the race, everyone carrying full fuel. I played it back & forth in slow-mo a number of times and at one point I believe there were 3 cars airborne each going the length of a couple of football fields before hitting either the wall, the catch fence above the wall, or another car. Horrible accident.

Actually 2 accidents almost simultaneously. Cars about 1/4 of the way back in the pack got involved, sideways and started to wreck, and then much further back in the pack a few cars checked up and others then ran into/over them, getting launched airborne.

I've watched racing for decades and have never seen this type of devastation. Cars running way too fast and way too close together. Truly a great loss.

Pete

10. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

One of the very worse wrecks that I've seen in the last 40 years. Now the second guessing starts. 1) Too many cars in the race? 2. and the most important, was it a good idea to put a superior fast car last in the pack for the 5 million bonus? Clearly he would have qualified in the first 2 or 3 rows and would have avoided the accident. Comments?

blade819

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

He could have said "No" like the others. Maybe they thought the track was not designed for those speeds in that kind of traffic. Dan Wheldon may have allowed the pressure of sponsership issues to affect his decision also. Those cars are basically controlled by the air downforce, more so than the much heavier Nascar vehicles with the same horsepower. You take those winged vehicles and tip them up into the air, and they fly. Especially when there is wheel to wheel contact from behind. The front vehicle wheels back side of the tire is rotating up and coming in contact to the rear vehicles front side of the tire rotating down. I think the open wheel cars should be equipped with some kind of a very rigid guard both in front and back of the tires. Could be integrated very easily into the front wing and rear of the vehicle. The problem with these cars is there is nothing in front of the drivers head to deflect other vehicles, poles, and walls if the car flips. You can see he clearly has his head tucked in the down position while he is in the air. When the vehicle hits the wall and fence at the angle it did there is no way keep your head inside the cockpit. They reconfigured the apron at Indy and restricted the engines with pop-off valves, because the speeds where getting dangerous. Then they take those un-restricted cars and put them on a narrow, 1.5 mile track where there is basically one line to run and let them go 225 mph. and you end up with predictable results. With todays technology there has to be limits set on the performance of these engines, if they plan to race on tracks that are not designed for those vehicles. That should be up to the IZOD-Indy Racing officials. Both the driver and the IZOD-Indy Racing League, I believe made the decisions based on revenue, over safety. Unfortunately.

13. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

...and then IndyCar becomes the third racing venue to become 4-wheeled professional wrestling, NHRA and NASCAR being the first 2. There is no "racing" left in the US on a professional level; it's all foot-to-the-floor flat out processions in cloned vehicles that are strangled by regulations.

It used to be that the innovative ran up front because (1) they were fast and (2) they could attract the money they needed to stay there. Racing used as much about engineering and intelligence as it was about driver skill and bravery. No more. Now the vehicles are just copies of each other and the drivers are forced to run around in tight bunches that are are ready-made for disasters like Dan Wheldon's.

Mike Killian

14. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

My daughter and son-law were there and they called soon after the crash, stating that it was beyond belief. RIP Dan.

Clyde

15. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

We have as a society tryed to make everything go faster. NHRA shortened from 1320 feet down to 1000 feet. The cars began going faster than before. So they cut the Nitromethane down to slow them down. They would be in the 350 to 375 MPH range in the 1/4 mile. Think about that. The human body can't take it or the tires which makes it unsafe. Nascar has made all the cars the same to slow them down. 190 MPH is fast. They would be in the 235 range without all the restrictions. Indy cars qualifyed at 225 at Las Vegas. Indy 500 laps at 220 to 225 are common but its a bigger track. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Birdtracker

16. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Mike hit it exactly right. Telling a racer he has the option to not run is simply not realistic. It's a race, he was entered, he wanted to drive and go for the win. It's hard to describe to those who haven't done it. I always felt like I had a chance to win, no matter how far back I was in the field. (Usually I was way, way back) And I always loved every second behind the wheel, until I had to give it up. I'd give anything for one more flying lap trying to shave another tenth off my time.

But this "cookie cutter" car pack racing has scared me for ages. Open wheel cars have no business running that close together. I'm honestly surprised what happened Sunday, hasn't happened much sooner. Speeds were high, but no higher than has been seen before in racing. (Check lap times for Michigan in the early 90s) But that many cars, with wheels inside each other and bouncing off sidepods is a disaster in the making.

I'm sad for the loss of Dan Wheldon. I'm grateful that nobody else was lost in that incident. I'm hopeful that the IRL learns from this.

Hal Hitchcock

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It was the option of racing for the 5 million dollar challenge, that I was talking about. You have to start at the back of the field in order to qualify to win it. As Blade stated above, he probably would have qualified higher and would have been in front of the wreck. Dan Wheldon was the only one that took the challenge. The track at Michigan is three times wider than at Vegas. Also a two mile track with less angle in the turns. In Vegas the cars would be side by side in the turn even if the pass was started in the straight. At 225 mph you have to go into the turn high and go low then back high in order to keep your speed in the corner. No give and take, and you all end up in the wall. As Jimmy Johnson said, Indy cars should not be racing on these small ovals. Way to much speed.

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Good comments. Our prayers should go to his family. But I believe Indy Car Racing League will get burned on this one. 34 cars, about 10-12 cars more than ordinarily raced. Banked track and narrow. Throw five million in the pot and disater was certain to happen. Tony George has been struggling to keep this racing alive since he led the charge to disolve CART Racing. They barely draw half the crowd and I'm afraid this will kill it after the law suits are settled. It's irresponsible in my opinion to make a dangerous sport, more dangerous. Once again, our prayers should go to the Wheldon family on the loss of this great racer.

blade819

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

After Dale Earnhardt Sr. was killed in 2001 at Daytona, NASCAR finally began to take safety seriously. A lot of safety innovations were put in place since that time that have helped tremendously to make the sport safer. The cars are safer; the walls are safer, so now the drivers are safer. The guys on pit road as well as the fans are safer now also. It’s just a bitch that it took that incident to open everyone’s eyes to racing safety in NASCAR. Add my condolences to Dan Wheldon’s family. Rest in peace.

Jon Reitz

[​IMG]

20. BigM-Perazzi

They had speed issues at Texas several years ago. They saw it coming and stood aside. $$$$$$$$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.