1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sad day at Gun show

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 391 shooter, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Boy, 8, killed in Mass. gun show accident
    Monday, October 27, 2008 10:29 AM EDT
    The Associated Press

WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy, Christopher Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said.

Christopher died at Baystate Medical Center.

Police said the boy's father was at the gun fair and accompanied his son in the ambulance, but it wasn't clear if he was at the firing range with Christopher at the time of the accident. Police didn't give the father's name.

Although police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting," police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.

"We are going to review all the circumstance regarding what happened, who was involved, what authorities they may or may not have had, who was supervising," District Attorney William Bennett said Monday.

It is legal for children to fire a weapon if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian and are supervised by a properly certified and licensed instructor, Lt. Hipolito Nunez said.

Those conditions were met in this case, he said. He declined to release the supervisor's name.

The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People are allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.

Officials of the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. There was no response to a message left on a club answering machine. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.

The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its Web site as promoting "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."

It has eight firing ranges as well as archery and fishing facilities located on 375 acres in Westfield, about 100 miles west of Boston.

2. jimx200

jimx200 Member

OMG, what the hell was the dad thinking?? 8 years old firing a weapon like this is wrong. I feel for the family. Man, are the anti's going to be all over this one.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Condolences for the family and all who were touched by this young man.

That said, supervision doesn't sound real good. You don't start a child of this age with a firearm of this type. "The boy, Christopher Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said." It almost sounds like a full auto.???

Antigunners will love this....see, guns even kill those who shoot them, we must get rid of them before another child dies.

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

SO why MIS "LABLE" the event as a gun show.

When it is a shooting event!

Gun shows after all are gathering to:

Show

sell

trade. not shoot, compete or train!

THe AP got it right as a Gun Fair, aka a shooting/training event!

AL

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

That is one horrible sad story. Wonder if dad and "certified instructor" still think it is a good idea to have an 8 year old shoot an uzi?

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Sounds like the "dad" and the "certified instructor" should be shot! What MORONS!

AndyH

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When I was on the board I saw an 8 year old tottering along the walk trying to hold up a CLOSED O/U,

I raised so much stink we put in a "Hunter Safety" requirement for all young shooters. This in effect made a 12 year old limit.

The incident related here is repulsive. I have another one, from Texas, I believe. A young lad pestered his uncle to shoot his pistol, a 454 Casull.

Sight blade fractured his skull.

Innocents suffer from others' stupidity.

Whoever let this happen will have to live with it for a long time.

HM

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

A sad day for shooters. Trevor Dawe.

9. cls

cls Member

A very sad day indeed... cls

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This should just not have happened. there should have been a range safty officer standing directly behind them with one hand on his shoulder and the other suporting the gun or at least bracing his arms. SUCKS just not right. I for one am all for machine gun shoots to require the guns be fastened/chained or other wise made so they can not be raised beyound horizontal and limitted to L R movement. HTF do you deal with that!!! This is just a added note. There is no communication between clubs. I never heard of this event. Heck I never hear much about any events at othet clubs?

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

This story is very sad and is so obviously preventable. If you go to an amusement park, they have height restrictions for certain rides. Hard to believe that anyone anywhere with any sense would allow a little kid to turn it loose just because an instructor is nearby. When I was 8, I learned to shoot with a single shot .22 rifle - and it was not from a standing position either. I have to agree with Mac on limiting the vertical travel of the guns at these little "try it" venues. Remember that those rounds that went nearly straight up are going to come nearly straight down. A falling bullet will make you just as dead as one out of the muzzle. Just as a guess, I would also guess the next owner of those 375 acres will be the divorced mother of the kid.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The hanson rod and gun club is 21 or older at its machine gun shoot. memorial day weekend. Range officer for every shooter.

13. Janet

Janet TS Member

Horrible thing to have happened, Sympathy to all involved and rest in peace,
    to the little eight year old.

I didn't know they shot things like that at gun shows. My deepest feeling is that an eight year old should not even be shooting a machine gun. For what reason??? I don't understand.

And, yes the anti guns will attack us again...

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The issue isn't age. It's ability, attitude, EXPERIENCE, and safety training.<br>
    <br>
    I've known 8-year olds who have routinely shot machineguns. Safely.<br>
    <br>
    The problem is these ass clowns gave a machinegun with known heavy recoil (despite it's small caliber) to an inexperienced kid, filled the magazine completely up, then were not in a position to grab control of the gun should the kid lose control of it. The magazine should have had only four or five rounds in it. It would never have climbed as high as it did that way. The instructor should have had his hands close enough (almost touching) the gun. The best thing to do would have been to have the kid shoot a full auto 10-22. That gun is easily controllable by kids (and even adults of small stature or inexperience).<br>
    <br>
    Sadly, the media and politicians are going to have a field day with this. As are a lot of anti-gun Fudds.<br>
    <br>
    My opinion is that the "supervising" adult needs to be charged with criminally negligent homocide.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im wondering how much the media her in mass will press this. The event appears to be put on and supervised by police official(s). Im thinking it will not get the press you would think. just reading that the brother was there also. heck they dont give much press time to the what 90 or so murders we had here so far. Just a sad thing. Nothing can be done but pray now.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

another thing that bothers me is, I read that the emts when arrived the boy was conscious........WHEN THEY ARRIVED there should have been a ambulance emts and fire on site!!!! Where there provisions or a game plan if this would happen! I to was shooting at a young age. but I tell you my DAD was right on top of me until I was about 12. even to this day he still will not shoot until I give up the bench then he shoots.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Uh, are EMTs and ambulances on site at trapshoots? How about for scholastic trap shoots?

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Brian I just think that at an event such as this there should have been an ambulance or some sort of EMS on deck. As far as at trap shoots well maybe there should be schoolastic events if not why not. Back to machine gun shoot. many of the people who attend are not verse in the full auto relm. Heck I would think most people would not handle them well.

19. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Statistically speaking gun shoots are one of the safer recreational events in the U.S. There is not EMS on site at local sporting events. . . at least not around here, i.e., golf, high school football, basketball, swimming, tennis, dancing, etc. . .

Does anyone know for sure that the gun was in fact able to shoot full auto and secondly that this accident happened while the child was shooting full auto?

I've shot this sub full auto and it doesn't rise as much as some other full auto subs or rifles. . .

Could this have been a case of complacency where the pupil in semi-auto mode did not control the muzzle of this 2-3 POUND 9mm?

We need more information before we jump to conclusions. . .

Did this accident involve a semi-auto and the shooter and adult instructor not adamantly following the cardinal rules of firearms safety or was this a bunch of cowboys handing an 8 year old a full auto sub stuffed full of ammo and saying have at it?

There needs to be detailed information before those who feel qualified to judge should. . .

20. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

What a sad day indeed for he little boy's family and friends. This boys udeath lays at the hand of the fathers feet! There is no reason to have an 8 year old trying to handle that much firepower at a weapons show, gunshow whatever!
    It is the lack of respect and inexpereience for fire power that leads to these types of senseless deaths.

This is the type of publicity we do not need with the likely prospects that one of the biggest anti-gunners could be the next President of the United States.

Rick Brohmer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.