1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacramento area trap coach: recommendations?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JeffreyHJanian, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

I'm in the Sacramento area and I'm thinking of getting some coaching. I started shooting trap last summer. I'm shooting over 20 but have a hard time hitting 24 and have never hit 25.

I usually shoot at Coon Creek, but have also visit Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, Auburn Trap Club, and Beale Air Force Base.

Have you used a coach / had lessons from anyone you'd recommend in the area?

Thanks, Jeff

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I can definitely recommend C.A. Redding out at Coon Creek. He was my coach for a very long time. Now, he helps me when I need to tweak things. He's awesome, patient and knows his stuff. He literally took me back to basics to unlearn all the bad habits I got with my ill-fitting first shotgun -- worth every frustrating (my frustration) minute!

He's coaching/instructing International Trap (the Junior's), but he'll work with you anytime. I'd suggest you not go out this Saturday; there's some function going on and it will be a mad house out there. Definitely go out Sunday morning if you can. If you don't plan on going to Livermore for the CSTA State Shoot, that would also be a great time to see C.A. about some instruction. He'll be at Coon Creek. He's worked with quite a few people and they have the high scores/averages to show for it.

Good luck.

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I'll second the vote for Charlie Redding at Coon Creek. He is a wonderfully patient man and there isn't much about shooting a shotgun and the various games he doesn't know and he knows how to teach folks how to shoot. There are lots of great shooters but not all of them know how to teach it. He usually has some free time during the week if you can get out there on a tuesday or thursday.

Your committment is to listen and put in the work required to improve.

4. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

Dale Tate works at Comanche Hills. I don't know where you live, but I have heard that he is both a great teacher and one of the best gunsmiths.

5. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I spelled it wrong, it is Camanche Hills.

6. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

Thanks all for the recommendations. A guy told me Charlie at Coon Creek was a good coach, but it's good to hear it from more than one person.

Truthseeker, I went to Camanche Hills once and the trap rounds were something like $7-8/round, so I may pass on Dale Tate, but thanks for the info.

Jeff

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Isn't BJ McDaniel from the area? He coaches a lot of the Olympic shooters, mostly in skeet.

but I'll bet he could help your trap game...

8. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

Update: I had a trap lesson from Charlie at Coon Creek today. He's excellent. Thanks for the advice.

-Jeff

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Jeff,

That's terrific. I like it when a recommendation holds true. I'll be seeing him this weekend for some doubles tweaking!

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.