1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sabot slugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by School Teacher, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    How many slugs do you plan to shoot each year? There will be a certain amount of cost just acquiring the equipment including the ability to make a roll crimp. Next, you will have to become proficient in loading slugs. This may take some time and effort.

When I used to deer hunt with slugs, I purchased 5 boxes of 5 of Wolf brand "Brenneke" style slugs for $2.39 each. I shot them out of a Remington 870 smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights. I shot 3 slugs at 50 yards from a rest and printed a 2" group dead center on the target. A couple of weeks later I took a small buck with a one shot kill at around 50 yards. I still have 4 boxes plus 1 slug left. I only used the slugs as this particular location required slugs. I never went back.

Unless you plan to use a lot of slugs, I would buy 2 or 3 boxes and sight the gun in. Once sighted in, I would have at 10 rounds (2 boxes) when I went into the field.

Be prepared for significant recoil.

Ed Ward
  2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If you already reload shotgun shells ... buy a mold for slugs:

Empty hull + powder + 1 oz wad + slug = about the same cost as your regular loads.

You really don't need a roll crimp ... your standard crimp works very well!

BE SURE TO MARK THEM "SLUGS" with a magic marker!!!
  3. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I reload my own 20ga slugs for about $1.35 per round using the Hornady .45 cal
    FTX bullet. Accuracy is under 1" at 50 yards and 1 1/2 inches at 100

After sizing and priming the 20ga Hornady hull, reloading slugs is all by hand and worth the effort. Loading data and sabot is available from a gunshop in New Jersey. Try googling "CSS sabots". Ballistic products sells the roll crimp.

4. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Pasco WA
    I've got lots of boxes of slugs from my dads's estate. If anybody wants some for a deal, drop me a pm and I'll set you up. JW
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

css sabots