1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SA Range Officer Opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcouch, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

Hello,

I'm in the market for a 1911 and I know we have a lot of pistol shooters on this site. I think i have decided on the Range Officer, but I wanted to hear your opinions. The gun will not be used for carry, just target practice. I would like to try bullseye with it, we are moving close to a range that has bullseye tournaments.

Thank you,

Tim

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

A very decent gun for the price. You'll enjoy it. In the future, if you really get serious about Bullseye. it's a good base gun for accuracy and trigger modifications.

3. glenns

glenns Member

I use my RO in an action pistol league. Feels good, dependable and reasonably priced.
    I have no complaints.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

I made a bullseye gun out of one and it came out well. Really no reason to start with anything more elaborate, when you're going to put that much work into it anyway. Most people think they need to start out bullseye with a Gold Cup or similar, only to find out they're going to need to hack on it to make it shoot good anyway, thus messing up any value it had as an OEM Colt item. The RO is just as good for that purpose, and will cost a lot less.

The RO is one of the few adjustable sighted factory guns available for reasonable money, from an established 1911 maker. (The Sigs are ok also, but have those ugly-ass three dot sights which are distracting for bullseye shooting). The gunsmiths are familiar with the SA guns, and have a comfort level working on them (the ROs I've seen come with the "NM" stamped barrel which is considered of more desirable origin by some smiths).

SA-RO has good, flat black Bo-Mar style sights which will be good enough to go the distance with (unless you decide you want to mount an optic). Like most 1911s, it will come with the approx. 26# hammer spring, which you throw away immediately, and when replaced with a 16# spring should get you from the 4.5~5 lb. range down to the honest 4lb. range on the trigger, good enough to begin with and legal for the distinguished hardball match if you want to leave it that way. You'll want to replace the 20+ pound stock recoil spring with a 13-16# spring if you want to cycle light bullseye loads in the 700~750 fps. range.

My opinion, you can't go wrong with it.

5. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Nice platform . You'll enjoy it .

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

Nice gun but for a couple hundred dollars more I would look at the STI International single stack 1911. The accuracy of STI guns are well known and put together very nicely, don't have to do anything to them. I have the Ranger II from STI and love it, best handgun I have ever owned.

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Tim, I love mine. Accurate, reliable and has digested everything I've run through it. I don't think you would be at all be disappointed with purchasing one. I feel it's a lot of gun for the money. I read several reviews about the gun before purchasing. Most of those can be found on line .

Good luck with your purchase and good shooting.Keep us informed.

Steve

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Tim, Here is a pretty good forum to gain some extra info.

9. tcouch

tcouch Member

Thank you all for your input.

Buzz-gun, who do you recommend for the main spring? I looked at Wolff springs and 24# is the lightest they offer.

Also, what else did you do to your to help accurize it?

I am also getting ready to reload for metallic. I currently reload shotgun, and I have reloaded metallic in the past. Does anyone have a load they like?

I have searched around for the best price and it seems like $780 off gunbroker is about the best price i can find. Does anyone have a better place to purchase it?

Tim

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Tim that gun has an internal locking system located in the mainspring housing. If you are going to change anything you must disable that system and use conventional parts which are very inexpensive.

If you start playing with lower spring tensions then it pays to replace the titanium firing pin with a steel one for reliability. The spring rates are high because they needed it to pass the California standards, hence the high spring rates and titanium firing pin.

First find one and then, if you feel it needs improvement, I can walk you through the mods.

Jerry

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had one but traded it off. It was reliable but the accuracy
    was average at best. 2.5 to 3" at 20 yards.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Tim, I have several different loads for mine, but the one I shoot the most for accuracy and light recoil is a 200 grain Berry copper plated SWC behind 3.8grains of clays.Check your loading manuals first. Hope this helps.

Steve

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Tim,

Wolff stock number 26216 is a 16# reduced-power hammer spring (mainspring). I got my supply from Brownells or Midway, I can't remember which. You should be able to find recoil springs of similar weight there also. The loads mentioned above, 4.0 grs. or so of something like Clays (or Hodgdon Universal) with a 200 gr. SWC should be a good ballpark.

Mine had very mediocre accuracy from the box, unacceptable for bullseye like most 1911s. Get an oversize bushing fitted (cheap), and you will probably find the barrel lugs need welded up and fitted to the slide hood. Mine would almost hold the X-ring at 50 yds. with just that. The only additional thing to consider would be getting the slide rails squeezed/lapped to the frame, but only if you're going to use a frame-mounted optic. If you're going to use any sighting device mounted to the slide (sights or optic), as opposed to the frame, then slide-to-frame play is not a factor and working on it is just extra expense you probably don't need.

You should be able to get an oversize bushing fitted and the rear lugs welded/fitted with trigger job for $200-300 from a honest smith. If you're not going for the frame-mounted optic, the $400-500 accuracy jobs from places like Clark and Les Baer are probably more than you need (and I believe Clark is getting somewhat sporadic about taking in customer's guns for work...they are more oriented to building whole guns now & will go for long periods where they announce on their website they're not taking customer guns to work on).

The price range you're quoting is about the best you'll probably find for a gun.

14. tcouch

tcouch Member

Buzz,

Thank you very much for the info. I am very interested in bullseye and I can't wait to find a good deal. We are moving back to the st.Louis area and there are a couple ranges that have matches.Currently in the middle of Kansas at Ft. Riley, no bullseye around.

I went to a local shop today and they had a used trophy match stainless for $950. It did feel good, but I don't know if its worth the extra money.They quoted me $799 for the range officer.

Tim

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

For the extra $150, I'd be tempted to get the trophy match, if it was in really good shape. Those are nice guns. Assuming you don't drill it for any kind of optic mount, the accuracy and trigger mods shouldn't hurt the resale value much.

Stainless is a pain to keep clean, but hey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.