1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S10 Blazer 2002

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ross, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Wouldn't start Fri. & Sat.-- turned over\cranked just fine, can hear fuel pump run. Service engine soon light is\was on. Went out this morning and it popped right off??????? Will try to get it to shop tomorrow to see if there is a code stored. Don't want to trust it until I figure out what's ailing it. Been very humid\rainy\wet and "chilly" not cold around here lately. Any wild guess?? Thanks Ross Puls

2. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

How old is the battery? A few years ago wife's car would act up once in a while. Sounded like it was cranking OK but wouldn't fire up until I tried it 3 or 4 times. Just for the hell of it I replaced the battery since it was 6 or 7 years old. It fired right up every time after that. Only thing I could imagine was the battery was at the point in it's life where it just didn't have quite enough juice to wake up the computer but would still light up the headlights and play the radio. Didn't have a check engine light at any time.

3. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Replace the distributor cap. Check coil wire ends to make sure the coil isn't raped too.

SpeedyWho thanked this.
  4. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

replace the plug wires as well.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Like with any gas engine, you have to start with the basics.
    Is it getting fuel?
    Is it getting spark?

I know you said you heard the fuel pump, but is it actually getting fuel where it needs to be? I always start with establishing that fuel is making it to the cylinders and then making sure the cylinders are getting spark and good spark. This allows you to further explore once you figure out which system is having issues.

6. Blaster_63

Blaster_63 Member

I had a similar problem under similar conditions with my 94 F150. Replacing the spark plug wires fixed the problem.

cheers

Charlie

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Tire Pressure ok?

8. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Man, there's seriously something wrong with you......!
    [​IMG]

9. trapshootin hippie

Yeah, but dont tell nobody, bud.

Catpower and nsguy thanked this.
  10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Had a sort of similar problem a wghile back. It did the no start thing and then would start 20 minutes later. It was a posting on here of Temperamental Toyota Truck. After a few months and a number of trips to the service garage, the computer was replaced. It has run fine since the computer replacement.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

1st update---- Well my mechanic (good guy) came over and checked it out pretty sure it's the fuel pump, (one hundred-forty thousand miles & 15 years old, so not too surprised, going to pull it over to his shop tomorrow. Only a couple miles he says no worry about transmission. More later Thanks everybody.--Ross

grntitan thanked this.
  12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't recognize sarcasm do you? I got a good laugh.

Catpower and nsguy thanked this.
  13. trapshootin hippie

I did too.

Catpower, nsguy and buck3200 thanked this.
  14. DuckNut

My experience with the electric fuel pumps is if you hear it, it is working. But from your additional info above, is it getting through the fuel filter.

I've never had a pump go bad but have had several filter get plugged up.

15. grntitan

I've had more than my share of faulty GM fuel pumps. The reason I mentioned in my above post, is that just because you hear it running, doesn't mean it's getting the fuel to the final destination. I had more than one that you could hear running but it didn't have enough to pump the fuel all the way up. GM has a bad reputation with fuel pumps especially in their pickup trucks.

Lee Fischer and Catpower thanked this.
  16. DuckNut

I can agree with this. But as you said to the final destination. If the filter is plugged it won't reach its final destination.

As honest as a stealership is, I would hate to think they would try to sell you a $400 pump repair vs. an $72 filter replacement.

But I do understand your point.

17. grntitan

Oh I definitely agree with your fuel filter thought. You have to work your way forward to find out where the fuel stops.
    As far as the dealer selling me a pump I didn't need, that would never happen. I do most all of my own wrenching. If any parts get bought unnecessarily, it's my fault. ;)

18. DuckNut

I get that feeling but - in the best interest of the general audience - it is food for thought.

19. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

Check the fuel tank/pump ground wire, the connection rusts and gives all the symptoms of a bad pump, my S-10 Blazer did this same thing..Steve....

20. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Mine quit at 180,000 or so,
    lately the fuel gauge reads / doesn't read I have a trip meter. This is my commuting vehicle for work in Houston

Been one heck of a good SUV

Will roll over 232,000 this week

And My tire pressure is good.

DGH

nsguy thanked this.