1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W Scandium

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mallardfilmore, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

lasers on guns: Another way for a company to separate you from your money for another gadget. Save the $$ and buy ammo and a really good flashlight. Better yet, buy 2 flashlights. The rule from the street is (and it never changes) One is none, two is one.

2. T/C

T/C TS Member

I have one with 3 1/4 inch bbl. It's so light to carry you forget you have it. Loaded with Federal Hydra Shocks it is a HANDFULL when it goes off. The first time I shot it with Hydra Shocks, I thought the gun blew up, it was that bad. After ya get used to it, alls OK. That said I also have the Crimson Trace laser grips on it, that I shall not be without. I don't need no stinkin flashlight. At night I can keep both eyes on the target, both hands on the gun, and put the red dot on your heart, without some stinkin flashlight cluttering up my grip. To each his own.

3. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Certainly you don't need no "stinkin flashlight" Just curious though, since your little dot only lights up about a 1/4" area, just how to you suppose you'll be able to identify the "threat" as a threat if you have no light to identify with? You did say at night.

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Phil: Yes, I've shot it. With full-house .357's it's a handful, and while not fun, you can get off all 5 just fine. With light .38's it's no harder to practice with than a steel J-frame. Skip the mixed ammo, load it with 5 JHP's (Rem Golden Saber or Speer or Win.) My personal opinion is it's a fine little gun, pricey but worth it for the weight. I'd say save your money & skip the laser. Shooting something you can't identify is a serious no-no in life. For the laser's cost you could take a good low-light-shooting class. Phil E

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

I also have one and agree that the recoil is wicked. I haven't had anyone yet that asked to shot more than 5 rounds. Great to pack for weight, but sure a PAIN to shot enough to feel real comforable. I have gone back to eith a SW 3913 with light rail or Colt Officers 1911. If you have a good belt and holster the extra weight is not that big a problem. If I were going to get another light weight gun it would probably be a keltec. Can't get most of their product here in Kalifornicator though. Mike

6. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

We just went through the laser thing at our dept and the "It'll scare them when you put it on them" was the hue and cry here. What makes you think they are going to see it?

7. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

A friend has one and I have fired many full power mag rounds through it and did not think recoil was at all objectional, but then I have the scandium 44 mag and don't mind the recoil from it either. S&W builds very fine guns and I'm sure you would be happy with one.

8. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

Remember S&W was the first gun company to buckle and bend over for the gun grabbers...

I used to love my Smith 29's but after that, traded them off and have not had a smith since then.

Bill

9. chrisg

chrisg Member

I have the scandium frame 329PD in .44 mag. It is a handfull to shoot accurately. I must say that it really hurts to shoot it much, but I like the looks and feel of it so I just grin and bear it!!

10. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Hey Bill, and others who still hate/distrust S&W, don't forget when they caved in was the bad old days when they were owned for a time by the Brits. They're under new ownership, have been for a while, and there's been no further talk of desertion. I believe they're back on our side where they belong, making good guns and supporting American gun owners. Jerry

11. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

They haven't sent me a new gun to prove it, not one.

Bill

12. Clayboy13

Clayboy13 TS Member

Do yourself a favor and buy Federal Hydrashocks(130 gr) for the 360PD. They have a heavy crimp so the bullets don't come loose from recoil and they are reduced recoil loads that with save your hands and fingers. The Federals kick hard, but most other brands are rediculous. You can hit targets much more easily with the Feds. The recoil is smoother. Forget Corbon, they will hurt you bad.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If really light and concealable is what you are going for get a PPK or look for a used Firestar 9mm..or a Ruger SP101..instead of that stuff that will hurt you as bad as who is on the receiving end

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.