1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S & W revolver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I have a S & W model 28-2 with a 4"barrel, .357cal hwy patrol.I have 2 grips, large square butt and small square butt, finish is blue. The blue book value seems much lower than similar s&w's and I was wondering why? Seems like a real soild pistol.

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

In good shape the M-28 is selling for app. $600.00 in this area.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It is a keeper!

If you have not shot it yet ... take it to the range! You will find it extremely accurate!

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Blue book is guide some guns I would love to buy at blue book prices. You have a real nice gun enjoy it

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Blue Book is way behind the current elevation of gun prices.

Ed

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Most of the fit and finish was utilitarian so they get less money. That does not mean they are not a great, heavy duty pistol. Short of letting it rust solid, I do not think you can hurt one. I never measured my Father in laws, but I am pretty sure they are "L" frames, making them stronger that the more common "K" frame.

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Most likely, your Model 28 came with the smaller stocks. Those are "Magnas", and they were standard issue on the Model 28. It also sounds like you have a set of larger target stocks for it, and they were generally post-OEM additions.

As RickN pointed out, the Model 28 has a less-polished finish, but has the same action as its more expensive Model 27 brother.

Most came in the duller blue finish. There were a few made in nickel, with 5" barrels for the Florida Highway Patrol, so if you find one in nickel, it's probably been refinished.

However, that N frame design has been around for over 100 years. Over-engineering at its finest.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I just looked it up, I was wrong, they are "N" framed. My 686 is the "L" frame. Super strong.

9. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Thanks for all the info. Glad it is a good piece, don't like having junk.

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

They are N frame 357's. I have a 4" one with target stocks. I am soon going to get a target trigger to go in it. Great pistols.

11. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Lots of good advice here.

I would like to add,search sold prices on Gunbroker for current values, Bluebook is way off on some guns, high and low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.