1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

s&w or sig 22lr

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I am going to buy a 22lr tac and have it down to a S&W or a Sig. about the same money.which one would you buy and why?

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Are you talking pistol or rifle?

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Had a S&W and they are good, but had many jams. We found it ran the Federal ammo the best. Sold it and bought the Sig 522. The Sig runs and runs with just about any ammo. Feels better too. The Sig also has a folding stock.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I tried both and the Sig 522 was far more reliable no matter what ammo I fed it and very accurate. I have a red dot on mine with the 3 minute dot and have no problems with hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards from a rest (when I do my part). A real fun gun to shoot. Only problem is that with 2 25 round magazines and a couple of buddies shooting with me I can eat up 500 - 750 rounds of 22lr in a very short period of time. But it sure is fun listening to the 100 yard plate going bong,bong,bong ....... or shooting a swinging plate with a friend or two.

--- Chip King ---

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I don't think you can beat a Ruger 10-22 in reliability or accuracy with any of the AR15 look a likes. You can buy stocks for the 10-22 that have all the rails you could ever use and tactical innovations brand large magazines that actually work and have less money in a better gun. But it wouldn't look like a M4 darn it.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Funny you guys bring this up....I have a small ton of older 22 ammo that I need to burn through and wanted to buy a cheapie 22 semi-auto rifle. Was leaning for the Sig 522 since I've never really been a fan of the Ruger. Any others to give consideration that don't cost a lot?

Thanks

7. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SIG 522 .22LR SWAT model with rails $535.00
    MIke Battista
    727 410 5212

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I have both a Sig 522 and S&W 15-22. Both are extremely reliable.
    The S&W is more accurate than the Sig I also like the fact that
    the S&W has the same controls as a AR-15. There are little to
    no after-market accessories available for the Sig. Both use their
    own dedicated magazines. The S&W magazine loads easier than the
    Sig. They also cost less than the 522 magazines. Both are good guns
    but in my opinion the S&W offers more.

9. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I can't speak for the Sig...I have the S&W...I've run 1K rounds of several different brands of ammo...about 500 were cheapies that they state in their literature as being problematic. Only had 1 FTF. I was impressed with the accuracy. But, as stated before, you can run through alot of ammo in a short time. Cheap fun tho!

10. oz

oz Active Member

If you have an AR15 just buy a dedicated upper in 22lr. I have one and it works great. oz

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

What I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

12. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Reconsider your choices. My 10/22 with all bolt-on aftermarket parts shoots 3/8" at 100 yards. Ain't doing that with Smith or Sig. Goes bang every time too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.