1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W Model 686

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike_Marsh, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike_Marsh

Mike_Marsh TS Member

I looked at a S&W 686 (newer version of the 586) that was in a 4" nickel steel (not stainless steel like they are made now) it was also stamped "10 of 100".

I haven't seen or heard of this model in nickel. It was in great shape from what i could tell and appeared to have had very little use. They were asking 650 and was wondering if anyone had any thought or comments.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 686 was the stainless version of the 586. I haven't heard of a factory crome finish on this gun but the 10 of 100 stamping suggests a limited edition run so I guess anything is possible. Sure it isn't just highly polished Stainless?

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Mike, is it a 6 or 7 shot?

4. Mike_Marsh

Mike_Marsh TS Member

positive it was chrome. the dealer wasn't sure why but thought it was "a gold edition" or something. it was a consignment gun. couldn't find anything out on google and other gun sites. wondering if its not a good deal. Also like that is was made in 1983. it seemed tight and very well maintained.

5. Mike_Marsh

Mike_Marsh TS Member

Sorry it wasn't the Plus, it was a 6 shot.

6. wolfram

If it really is chrome from the factory it is a really good deal. I just don't know if such a thing exists. Still the 10 of 100 marking makes me think this is a special gun and worth the time to investigate further. You might have a real find there.

7. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

I believe I saw one like that..2 1/2" bbl...engraved on the right side of the frame, wood combat grips. It was awhile back and the gun shop was selling it for in over $800.00 at the time.

Vern

8. Mike_Marsh

Mike_Marsh TS Member

yes, it was engraved on the right side on the lower part of the frame below the cylinder. said 10 of 100. the chrome didn't appear to be after-market or anything like that. was asking 650...i'm giving it some thought. can't find a thing out about it anywhere i've looked on the internet.

9. wolfram

Mike,

I found an old thread on the S&W forum and these guys were talking about a black stainless (chromed) 686 that was made in 1988. Evidently it is fairly rare and really never caught on. There were some comments that the finish came off too easily and then some that said it was pretty tough.

Sounds like a great buy for a collector but maybee not so great for a shooter.

10. Mike_Marsh

Mike_Marsh TS Member

thanks much Wolfram. i'll see if i can find it. i'm looking for a shooting gun. wish i could buy it to just hang onto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.