1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W Model 66-3 3 Inch

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by crusha, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

0   0   0

Wow, what a nice piece...wonder how many times Average Ed butt-pats the owner, without actually buying it?

2. redhawk

redhawk Member

0   0   0

Does that mean the 3" on Cabelas website should have about $290.00 per cylinder stuck in there?Where I am,that is a fair price for such a few guns.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

It's a $650.00 gun.

4. redhawk

redhawk Member

0   0   0

Then how much would you say a 2 1/2 " would cost?

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Three-inch guns are the rarest of the Model 66s. Go to GunBroker.com and check the closed auctions for those guns. Gris' asking price is very fair.

The 2-1/2" ones do $450 to $600, depending upon condition and if it comes with box, tools and papers. I bought a like-new 2-1/2" 66-4 for $416 two years ago, but it did not have original stocks.

Ed

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So my 3 inch 586 should be worth at least 250?

GneJ

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

3" 66's as stated have heavy premiums....only 2500 made.

Collector guns...

But, I think the $650 is more realistic...imho

8. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

0   0   0

$650 is plenty money for that gun and top price for it. $1175 is pure nuts. And forget what the asking price is on Gunbroker. It's what they actually SELL for on gun broker that counts. Not the guys that put "crazy want to make a fortune overnight" prices on them. Those never sell. But then some fool wants to quote them and expect that for his gun.

9. gris

gris TS Member

0   0   0

Redbone; it would appear that you do not know the value of the S&W Model 66 3" revolvers and would rather call someone "nuts" or a "fool" or "crazy". It is obvious that you do not research or watch the CLOSED AUCTIONS on GB for the ACTUAL prices that these guns sell for before you make a statement of their actual worth. Thanks for your input. Gris

10. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

0   0   0

grls (what does that stand for "girls"?)
    I suggest that I have a pretty good idea of values. I work at a gun shop, one of many I have worked at, and have been into guns for 40 plus years... as a gunsmith, competitive pistol shooter, and carried one as a police officer. I have also been to Smith & Wesson's Armorers school (amongst others) where I built 5 revolvers in the training, from scratch. From a bin of parts. All were 66's 2.5 inch by the way. One of which I bought for myself.
    And who is to say that yours is even an original 66 that came as a 3 inch from the factory? Do you have a certified letter from the factory stating that?
    Many guns go for a barrel change, and there are many frauds with fake boxes and labels.
    Your delusional.

11. gris

gris TS Member

0   0   0

Redbone it is not worth the effort to answer your message. Trust me,; I'm no girl. Gris

12. redhawk

redhawk Member

0   0   0

I just have to laugh.Some guy puts a nice rare ANIB original gun (lets assume thats true) for sale for a price that is under what they "HAVE" sold for on Gunbroker,Guns America,and by people I personally know who collect/trade S&W's and is slammed by people who I guess just don't like the price.But comments that call a guy "crazy,nuts,fool,delusional and insinuating that he's a fraud,are hard not to laugh at when you can't tell the differance between "GRIS" and girls.For God"s sake don't buy the damn gun!

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I have a 4" that was my TX carry gun..bulkier than an auto but sweet none the less...the 3" is nice and rare,..good luck selling Gris

14. gris

gris TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks Calvin. After Redbone, kind words are appreciated. Gris

15. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

"And who is to say that yours is even an original 66 that came as a 3 inch from the factory?"

Smith & Wesson is - all it takes is a phone call with a serial number.

Ed

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I paid 650 for a 2 1/2 inch in the box a 66-1 new unfired I prefer medium well rare is too pink for me. I did not know 3 inch guns were rare but sure would like to have one but I would put that much money towards a Casull I always wanted. It is a personal choice if someone wants one they will pay the price or wait till time freezes over not me It's my money and I want it now.

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

0   0   0

Now that y'all have brought it up, I have a lady friend looking for a small, carry, .38 Smith & Wesson. But she don't want to pay $1100. Any reasonable priced snub noses for sale out there? mrmichals@comcast.net or PM.

18. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Mike, do some shopping and you'll find some. Right now, the craze is Concealed Carry Weapons and snub-nose revolvers, especially the S&Ws, are in high demand and bring goofy prices. I have little interest in them and only bought my 2-1/2" 66-4 because the gun appeared to be like-new, the starting bid amount was quite reasonable - $416 - and I didn't have one. I got lucky and no one else bid! I believe the seller stating the condition as "average" scared off bidders but I realized he was understating the gun's condition when I downloaded and enlargened his photos.

I think your choice of handguns for your lady friend is a good one. As I mentioned in another thread, our son bought a small Taurus 9mm semi-auto for his wife several years ago and she doesn't like it. She considers it challenging to operate compared to my revolvers and its short grip frame hard to hang onto when firing. She actually prefers my 4" Model 66 with .38 Special loads. Even my 2-1/2" 66-4 is probably too heavy for purse carry, but a nice 2" Model 60 would be perfect.

Ed

19. FIB

FIB Member

0   0   0

Folks the man is allowed to ask whatever price he wishes. No one is making you buy it. Beautful revolver BTW. FIB.

20. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

His price actually isn't all that unreasonable IF you are a dedicated S&W collector who must have every possible version that was made. I fit that mold to a slight extent in that I have Model 66s in every other barrel length. But I buy guns to shoot as well as investments that I enjoy owning and would much rather buy a lightly-used 3" Model 66 for hundreds less so I could shoot it without suffering hundreds of dollars of devaluation on the first shot.

So to most of you and myself as well, his gun is too costly. But it is NOT overpriced for what it is. As someone else suggested, view the closed auctions for these guns on GunBroker and other sites and you'll see that even ones that are not as pristine bring unbelievable prices.

This gun has several things going for it. It is a model that S&W no longer makes. It is a model that was popular and well-made. It is a version with hand-fitted forged parts instead of ones made with today's Metal Injection Molding technology (which isn't all that bad but it isn't "how they used to make them"). It doesn't have an internal lock. And it has the rarest of all Model 66 barrel lengths.

Because of all but the last item, S&Ws like the Model 66 and its blued sister, the Model 19, are in high demand as are most pre-MIM, pre-lock Smiths. But an unfired three-inch Model 66 with all its goodies is in a whole other league.

Some of you obviously will disagree but them's the facts. These are not trap guns that depreciate heavily because we always have them altered to fit us and then fire them hundreds of times each week. These are box-stock, unmolested examples of engineering and assembly that is unavailable today.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 66 3 inch

s&w 66 3 for sale
s&w 66 3 inch for sale

s&w 66-3

s&w model 66 3 inch

s&w model 66-3 3inch barrel for sale

smith model 66 3 inch

sw model 66 3 inch