1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S & W Model 632 Carry Comp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Allen-MX8, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have been reading about the S & W Model 632 Carry Comp chambered for the .327 Federal Magnum Cartridge and I think I would like one.

Has anyone bought one and if so how do you like it?

I would appreciate any information you might have. Thanks.

Allen

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I do not have one. I prefer the larger K frame, not the smaller J frame. The K frame fits my hands better, and holds 6 shots standard in .38 or .357. The J frame holds 5 shots max for the .38 or .357.

One of the purposes, however, of the .32 Magnum was to increase capacity in the J frame from 5 to 6 shots. This is actually old news... J frames have been made in 6 shot capacity .32 caliber for a long time. In fact, the predecessor of the J frame, the I frame, was originally made in .32 with 6 shots. Chambering for 5 shots of .38 came later.

The other part of the concept was to give as much as possible .357 velocities without the blast, flash and recoil of the latter. It actually exceeds 357 velocities from 2" and 3" barrels, but the flip side is the bullet is much lighter, typically 115 grains, while the .357 is running 125 to 158 grains.

A more fair comparison is that the .32 Magnum is that it duplicates the 9mm in a short barrel. The 9mm is well suited for small barrels, but in a J frame they are 5 shot, and require a star clip because they are rimless. Because the 32 Magnum has a rim, it is much more suitable for a revolver.

If you subscribe to the "bigger holes are better" or the "more lead means more dead" theories, then the .32 fails in that respect.

Actual shootings? I have no information there. The previous .32 cartridges have always been on the wimpy side, and weren't very good for "stopping power". Basically whatever can be said of the 9mm from a short barrel will likely apply to the .32 Magnum. I know comparisons have been made to the .357, but given the weight difference of the bullets I think that's overly optimistic.

Interesting cartridge. Not my cup of tea, though.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks Brian for the info.

I still think I would probably like the new S&W 632 Carry Comp.

Allen

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Was reading a good article on it at the above web page the other day. Good info on that site.

5. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks everyone for the information.

I found one today and purchased it. While I haven't shot it yet, I think I will like it just fine.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas everyone.

Allen

6. Brian in Oregon

Post your impressions of it here, please.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My first impressions are that I really like the weight, about 24 oz I think and the grip fits my small hand just fine.

While the double action trigger pull is a bit heavy it is very smooth. Single action pull is smooth and crisp.

I hope to shoot it tomorrow (Thursday) and will report back after I have shot it some.

I really like the fact that it will shoot not only the .327 Federal Mag but the .32 H&R Mags and the .32 S&W longs.

As I have a S&W Model 16 chambered for the .32 H&R Mag, I have the reloading dies, bullet moulds and a goodly supply of brass so I will be able to re-load the shells.

I will report more after I have shot it.--Allen

8. Brian in Oregon

Check out post #28 on the thread at the link. The guy posting said he had his S&W Model 16 rechambered for .327 Mag. He also has pics of a bobcat he shot with it.

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Well, I got to shoot my new S&W 632 a little today with the following results/commnets:
    (1) The .327 Fed Mag 100gr JSP American Eagle cartridges had more recoil than I prefer and the cases wanted to stick a bit.
    (2) Some .32 H&R Mag reloads I had with 100 gr SWC cast bullets were much more comfortable.
    (3) Some 100 gr PMC .32 S&W Long's with LWC bullets shot the best as to grouping.

All in all I think I will like the gun and the above seemed to group adequately at approximately 15 yards.

For carry purposes I will probably use some Federal .32 H&R Mag's with 85gr JHP's.

Allen

10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.