1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W Model 30-1 .32swl be reamed to .32magnum?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Michalski, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Agree with Fred. Why not trade the S&W off on a .32 mag?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just sell it

what barrel length and what sights?

Gene

3. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Shotshell, this would be an extremely dangerous move. Both of the .32 Magnums are considerably more powerful than the .32 S&W Long/.32 Colt New Police (they are the same cartridge and differ only in the bullet used in commercial loadings.). I doubt seriously if any gun designed for the .32 S&W Lomg would withstand constant shooting with the .32 H&R, much less the .32 Federal which is considerably more powerful than the .32 H&R. Also, the recoil of the .32 Magnums in a pistol as small as the S&W 30-1 is downright unpleasant to say the least. I had a Ruger 101, an outstanding revolver, in .32 Federal, which of course easily handles the other two cartridges, but sold it because the .32 Fed was simply not a pleasure at all to shoot. Also, the two magnums have considerably longer cases than the S&W Long and there may not be sufficient length in the cylinder to allow it to be lengthened for a magnum. All in all, my personal opinion based on my experience with the Ruger 101 is that you will be unhappy with the conversion even if it could be done.

4. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

No it cannot. The cylinder is not long enough for the OAL of a loaded cartridge.

5. setter

setter Member

Your model 30 should be .32 S&W, with the model 31 being .32 S&W Long. The .32 Mag develops almost twice the pressure as the .32 S&W Long.

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If you are talking about the 32 H&R magnum, then yes, the 31-1 will stand that all right.

If on the other have you are talking about the newer 327 Mg., then you would probably have problems with the length of the cylinder and the pressure is a little higher than the 32 H&R mg.

The thing is the 32 long is such a nice little gun just as it is and with a little careful handloading in a good solid gun like the 31, can be improved ballistically to be nearly a 32 Mg anyway. I have 2 of these guns and I shoot the 100 frain cast bullet at ~900 fps with no problems at all.

Wanna sell it? I have a soft spot for the .32 S&W Long ctg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ream 30-1 cylinder to 32 mag

s&w 30 reamed for 32 h&r