1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W Mod. 63

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FalconSprint, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I have a S&W Mod.63, S.S. 4 inch, 6 shot revolver that I'm going to sell to a close friend. Non pinned front sight, orange inlay front sight, adjutable. rear sight, Pachmeyer grips, original wood grips I have, never used them, and don't have original box it came in. I bought the gun new about 1985-86 to carry with me on my fur trapping line. Gun is about 95% in my opinion, no holster wear, slight lines around cylinder from cocking, it's been well kept and clean. Most of it's life it shot .22 shorts, harvested many a Fox and Raccoon which of course adds no value. Serial # AVZ89xx. I can't remember what I paid for it, but $250.00-$300.00 seems to stick in my mind. Checking internet prices it is all over the place, from 400 to 700, I find. Mine is a Mod.63, (with no dash) if that means anything. I can't shoot it anymore cause I can't see the front sight like I could 25 years ago. What would you think a fair price would be for the both of us, but I ain't selling it for 250 bucks. Thanks in advance, F/S.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Why not post a picture? It makes for a much easier sale. Bulge.

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

If you're just selling it because you can't see the front sight, you might consider getting a stick-on or clip-on adjustable optical aperture.

I have a model 34 that I have carried on a trap-line, and in extreme remote locations that is very sentimental to me. I've had it for a long time, and it really wouldn't matter how much I paid for it, I'm going to keep on shooting it until I go blind - and maybe even after!

I have the old-eye syndrome so I know your frustration. I always wear shooting glasses and have a clip-on, flip-up aperture on my field pair all the time. I couldn't find a quick picture of it on the web, but mine is made by Gehmann.

There is nothing like a day in the field, or on the range with a .22. Either way, best of luck to you.

Kip

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I'll second Kipling's suggestion. I have a stick on aperature that keeps me in the shooting game with pistols. I have a Lyman Hawkeye that was less than $20, and it works fine. I lost a Merit aperature device that was about $60, and it was fine also, and was adjustable.

I have been hanging around some gun shops, and K frame Smiths in good workable condition are bringing from $300 to $425 if it is really nice. These are different times, collectors who pay really premium money only want particular and rare models. The averge 25 year old does not bat an eye at spending $600 and up for a molded plastic pistol, but you almost cannot hive him a revolver.

5. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I agree with you 100% Kip, on the aperture thing. I tried one and it works well. I never thought about having it attached to a pair of flip up's, sounds like a good deal. But my plan is to put the money I get from the 63, towards a high dollar target model S&W or Browning semi with a 7" barrel. One that has the Weaver type top strap so's I can attach another high dollar red dot sighting do-dad. Don't do much woods walking anymore, but I can shoot target, tin cans, crows and groundhogs on my property. My friend offered 375.00, think I'm gonna take it and neither one of us will get scalded, and both will be happy, kind of. Don't trap fur anymore so weight is not an issue, but still love the crack of a good .22 rimfire handgun. Thanks, F/S.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

$375 is a bargain price for your friend. It may be worth your selling it to him at this price because you will know the gun is in good hands (hopefully)

Personally I think the gun is worth more like $500, there may be differering opinions on that but try to find a good clean M63 these days for less or for that matter any new .22 handgun of that quality that is even close to $500.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I would say accept the $375 offer. That is probably as good an offer as you will ever have.

I have one as well and I wouldn't take less than $375 for it.

Allen

8. EE

EE Banned User Banned

A no dash m63 in 95% condition is worth more than $375. In fact, if your friend backs out, I'll give you $375, plus shipping, for it.

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Falcon,

That sure is a good price you're giving your neighbor, I hope he turns out to be worth it? I agree with wolf, worth more.

Since you're in the market, I'd suggest that you look at a Ruger Mk3, in either the Hunter or Target model. I've gone in another direction lately, but I used to shoot a lot of rimfire steel, and the Ruger just offers too much over the competition. Long range RF is about as much fun as flying clays........well maybe not.......

I have several S&W Mdl 41's. The old one's are worth their weight in gold, even at today's prices, the newer one's not-so-much. My Browning Buck Mark Hunter has a weaver style base milled into it. I put a BSA 3x7 AO cheapie on it and ran my first 40 - center-punching all the rams - great day, excellent pistol.

I have an astigmatism in my master eye so the red dot, becomes red dots. The Optical aperture still gives me a sense of accomplishment all the mechanical aids make mundane. Best of luck with your decisions.

IMHO,
    Kip

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Mod. 63 sold, 400 bucks. Thanks to all that responded. F/S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.