1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W mod 19

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Sky Buster, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Jack:

$375.00 to $400.00

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jack:

It might be worth more than $400 but, regardless of how it looks, check it out carefully and shoot it before buying. Some of the best and the worst revolvers ever made have been S&Ws. They've been thru so many ownership and management changes over the years that quality has wandered all over the map. I've seen a couple horrific examples that slipped out of their factories, particularly in the 70s & 80s. If you avoid the clunkers, these can be great revolvers.

-Gary

3. EE

EE Banned User Banned

In almost new condition, that gun could bring more than $400. But like Gary said, check it out carefully first. If you don't know much about Smith's, get someone who does to check it out.

4. SCL

SCL Member

i have a mid 80's 19, Targrt trigger and hammer, outline sites, beautiful wood and some trigger mods. I wouldn't let it go for $400 LOL. Love that gun.
    Scott

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a model 66, which is the same gun as this except stainless, and I wouldn't take $400 for it.

EE

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you have little experience with S&Ws, so I'll warn you that K-frame guns do not live long if fed a steady diet of .357 ammo. The cylinder is for all intents and purposes a slightly extended .38 Special part and the chambers will swell and become out of round. That makes empties real difficult to extract - I'm talking punch and mallet difficult. You'll puncture your hand before you get the extractor to move them.

My first Smith was a Model 19 and I ruined a cylinder in just three boxes of shells. S&W replaced it and after another three boxes, extraction was becoming sticky again. S&W replaced the cylinder a second time but told me they would not do so again. Model 19s were super scarce back then (mid-1970s) and I figured if I have to shoot only .38s, I might as well profit on the Model 19. I traded it to a dealer who had a waiting list for them and got a new Model 14 and a new Model 15 for the Model 19 and $125.

Ed

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I packed a 6" Model 19 for a good number of years on the job. Our department supplied ammo which was target wadcutters for training for many years and later went to the required carry ammo which was +P, .38 rounds. Carrying magnums on duty was not permitted. The guns from the 60s and 70s never had problems with "wearing out" but I have little doubt that a steady diet of .357 Mags would have take a toll and that was one of the reasons we were not permitted to carry them......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

FYI, some of the cylinders people thought had design shortcomings were actually just not heat-treated properly.

-Gary

9. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Ed, stories like yours are all over and have been around for years. No doubt they are true. But my K-frame Model 66 has digested thousands of rounds of HOT 357 loads with no signs of frame or cylinder stretching. And I mean HOT. 15 grains of WW296 under a 158gr. bullet.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Good stainless is harder than carbon steel, so that might explain your experience.

Ed

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Got my 66 in 1981. I will never part with it. The most accurate (out of the box) handgun I've ever owned. It gets a steady diet of .38 Special SWC's, and .357 Magnum JHP's. Wayne

[​IMG]

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I did wear one out with 125 gr factory mag loads. Mine is a late 70s nickle plated 4" square butt. I sent it back to S&W a few years ago and had it completely reconditioned. This after maybe 9-10K rounds...mostly 12.5 grns of 2400 and a 150 grn lead slug. The cylinder was loose and slightly our of time. S&W discovered a crack in the forcing cone so, they offered to set the barrel back. They would have replaced it but not with a pinned barrel so, set back to 3.5" was a good deal. They also found two slightly out of round chambers. Since i did not want a non-counter bored cylinder, i opted to keep things as they were. Along with an accuracy job and an action slick up, total cost to me was $175. These days nothing hotter than 38 SP goes through the gun for practice and i carry factory 158 grn SWC magnums for serious work.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would be surprised that any S&W would hold up to very many magnum rounds. Not a slam against S&W, just the way it is. Magnum rounds are very punishing. 44mag 629's certainly don't, at least the early ones. They come loose and stretch.

omgb, I have picked up many S&Ws over the years and found that most are not timed properly from the factory, excluding the ones from the Custom Shop.

14. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Can somebody tell me the difference between a Model 19-3 and a 19-4?

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Sportshot: Amazingly, i found this on Wikipedia,

19-4 (1977): Change gas ring from yoke to cylinder. (Not really an "improvement". It did make it slightly easier to clean if there was heavy leading, but basically was a cost-cutting measure.)

16. uplate

uplate TS Member

The K frame Smiths did not hold up well under a steady diet of full power 357
    loads. The hot factory 125 gr. loads were particularly punishing causing a lot
    of cracked forcing cones. EE 15 grs of 2400 with a 158 gr bullet is a hot
    load, 15 grs of 296 is not. Before you shoot the messenger I suggest you
    chronograph your "HOT" load.

17. EE

EE Banned User Banned

uplate, I have. They are around 1450 in the summer. Not a dangerously hot load, but hot. And about as fast as a factory 125gr.

EE

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Still have dad's 19, bought around 70, gave it to my wife a few years ago. It has digested thousands of 38 special target level reloads and about fifty full house magnum factory loads. As range officer at a few hundred pin shoots, I never felt bad about warning folks, gently of course, that the loads they were pushing through their 19s, and 66s, would soon wear them excessively or put them out of time. Some pushed back but learned either the easy or hard way. Fine gun. Smooth action. Accurate. I have a 28 which is no better than the 19 but which, I feel will stand up longer to the hot stuff. I have a 29 which I shoot with a lot of 80% loads (my judgement.....a 250 grain Keith at about 1100-1150 fps) and it is fine after a few thousand. I shot a few old Remington 44 magnums, lead, full house loads and I gave them to a guy who has a Marlin carbine. Too nasty for my sweet Smith.

All that said, if you want to shoot a 357 with 357's, use a N frame or a GP100 or an L frame. My old Security sixes (2 3/4, 4, and 6" models, two in blue, one in ss, are still more accurate than any of my Smiths and built somewhat sturdier.) The old 6" with the Skelton load of a Lyman 358156GC over 15 grains of 2400 (old stock) will cut one ragged hole at 25 yards and got me a deer a few years ago....and I don't like the 357 for deer..it is what I had at the time, and legal at that.)

A Ruger blackhawk is much stronger yet and would be my choice for long term shooting with the "hot" stuff. Not a 19. Hot stuff is why Smith brought out the L frame (and I have one of them, a 6" 686 which is close to the Ruger as my favorite "SMALL BORE".

I love this site.

stan

19. uplate

uplate TS Member

Wow EE that must be a very good lot of 296 you have. I got 1440 fps out of
    my 4" md. 27 with 17.3 grs 296 under a 158 gr cast bullet. Decided that load
    was a bit warmer than I needed. 16 grs gives 1250-1270 out of my 3 md. 27& 28s
    with 4" barrels and 1330fps out of my 6" md. 28. 17 grs under a Speer 160 half
    jacket will just break 1800fps out of my 18-1/2" Marlin. 1450fps with a 158gr
    cast or jacketed bullet with only 15 grs...WOW!

20. EE

EE Banned User Banned

uplate, it might be a good lot. I'm still working out of an old 5lb metal can of 296 I've had for ages. 357 is all I use it for. When it's finally gone, I'll probably switch to something else because it's so dirty. I'm also using cast bullets, no gas check, and a magnum primer.

EE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.