1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W-Mod-19 - 38 special?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by plabels466, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I was cleaning a few revolvers today & noticed I have a S&W model 19 frame with a 38 special, 3'' barrel & cylinder.....Yes it says 38 special on the barrel & a 357 round will not fit in the cylinder.....I do not recall a model 19 in this calibre..... A friend has a Colt Pythton in 38 Special, I remember they made a few of them.....Did Smith ever make a Model 19 in 38 special??? Just curious because this revolver is a shooter & a keeper.....Thanks again guys & Merry Christmas to all the great friends on TS.COM...........Pete

2. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

They also were only made in 2 1/2",4" & 6" Barrels for 357 Mag. You have a special order gun or a real collector. Glenn

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You may have a fluke there. I lost interest in revolvers perhaps 20 years ago - Contenders and XP-100s will spoil you with their accuracy, power and ease of cleaning. But at one time, I had a decent collection of Colts and S&Ws, including a few Model 19s and never heard of them offering it in 38 Special. The similar 38 Special S&W was the Model 15, I believe.

I just remembered that I have a Blue Book of Gun Values and I checked there. The only chambering listed for a Model 19 is .357 Magnum and the equivalent 38 Special was the Model 15. But then, the book lists an "add" value for Target Trigger, Target Hammer, Red Ramp front sight and While Outline rear sight on the 6" version only of the Model 19 and I had a 4" with those options, so who knows?

Interestingly, Model 15s are worth almost exactly the same amount as Model 19s.

Ed

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What type of sights does it have. HMB

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bill Jorden helped developed this gun. It's a "K" frame. It was first marketed as Smith & Wesson .357 Combat Magnum. The first serial # was K260,000. I've had many Model 19's and model 66's. Never heard of one in .38 Special. I would check serial # and call Smith & Wesson. Wayne

6. shotist

shotist Member

I think that the 38 Specials were made for the IRS to carry....During that time a lot of departments would not let their officers carry the 357 Mag Round. These guns were ordered so that the Officers would/could not use the 357 mag round.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I know they didn't make one for the IRS because that's where I was working at the time. Back in the 60's and 70's the gunsmiths at S&W were notorious for making one-of-a-kind instant collectors items. Whether they did it for fun, or to make a little money on the side is open to conjecture. One example was a steel frame Model 39 9mm. They were selling on the collectors market for Over $250 at a time when the production alloy frame model was about $70. There were other "custom models" that appeared from time to time. I would say you have one of those "custom" guns.

As far as the Colt Python being made in 38 special, it wasn't. The gun that looked like one was the Diamondback, a cheaper copy of the Python in 38 special.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've owned a 19 in 38 it was a special order gun I think it was an overrun for a special order when they ran out of md 15 frames but not positive. I also owned a Python in 38 special, I know you're wrong about that one dicktax.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

dickgtax, guys with 38 Pythons are going to line up to straighten you out.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

O'K. a little quick research says that the Python orginally came out as a 38 special target gun in 1955 and was made for a couple years. The Diamondback didn't come out until much later.

I stand corrected. Heck, not even Tiger Woods is perfect!

11. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have a .38 Python with an 8 inch barrel that I bought new in 1980.
    It was not a 1955 NOS

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

The Feds carried a model 13, which was the same model 10 unit, except it was chambered for 357 and had a 3 inch bull barrel, fixed sights. They carried this gun, up until the great massacure in the 1980's. After that they asked for gun makers to develop the 10MM, but small framed agents could not handle it. Thus the development of the 40 S&W.

The models 10, 13, 15, 19 and stainless versions were all on the K frame, but like so many others, I have never heard of a Model 19 in 38 SPL. The purpose of this gun was to be handled in a small frame for average size people, yet handle a moderate diet of 357's. It was even suggested that the models 19's and 66's be fed 357's only when carried on duty and when used in the line of duty. It was felt the gun would last longer if it was fed 38spl for practice and qualifications. When the 38Spl Plus P round came about for police use, a lot officers carried those instead of the more powerful 357 and some police departments only allowed the Plus P round and this is were the Model 19 & 66 shined, because they could hanlde the police round a lot better than the average Police Positive Colts, which were the same size gun.

These models came about because the only S&W offered at the time in 357 were the N frames (27 & 28's) that could down powerful loads with any problem.

Smith & Wesson used to provide manufacturing history on each gun they produced, but I think you could only get that info through a written request.

13. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Barfin, your revolver says mod. 19-2---on two lines, mine says mod.19-3, all on one line.......It has the S&W adjustable sights.......It is clearly marked a model 19 frame........Ser# is 6K297XX.......Ser#K260,001 was the lowest serial # gun & that was presented to Bill Jordan in 1957.......I am confused with my Ser# - yes it is correct - I looked again to be sure......Ahh the mystery continues.......Guess I will have to look it up on the S&W archives if they have any......The mystery continues......I will let you know what I find & I really thank you all for responding to this post.....Merry Christmas.....Pete

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Well, one thing is for sure.......you never know.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pythons- lots of them in 38- not sure what I would define a lot as

Model 19s in 38-- maybe- I would guess as someone else has above that barrel was replaced- and that is why it says 38 but

but

if that were the case- would not the cylander still chamber a 357 round- because its the size of that not the barrel in this case that is the determining factor

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Never heard of a factory M19 in .38 special but I have seen an original .38 special Python and the asking price was staggering.

I would think this is a rebuilt gun but would also love to know the story if it is the real McCoy.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

S&W revolvers are constantly updated (small changes made to the gun). The model 19-3, the 19 is the model number and the 3 means it has had the first 3 series of updates. HMB

18. elinvar

elinvar Member

Standard catalog of S&W lists 2 different model 19's in 38 special- a 19-3 with 2" barrel and a 19-8 in 2&1/2 inch or 4"- either would be quite scarce.
    Terry Jones SWWC #2002

19. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

"Never say Never" Ronald Reagan 1980something.:)

20. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Terry - can you please tell me where you got your source of info..I would love to see it. Thanks for replying. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.