1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S & W Governor

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tugboat, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I am considering getting one of these for home defence..
    Ammo manufacturers have come out with specialized .410 rounds for the Governor and the Taurus Judge.. NRA Rifleman has an informative article on the ammo.. Anyone have one of these weapons?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If its for Home Defense, i'd get a 12ga. Remington 870(or similar other make) with a short smooth bore slug barrel. Why go with the smallest shotgun caliber available? Load it with OO Buckshot and you have one of the best Home Defense guns one can have. Those special .410 loads are expensive and small. OO Buck loads are common and much more available. Just my 2 cents anyway.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, if short is what you want, but the .410 ain't cutting the mustard, then Mossberg makes a 14" pump shot pistol. Legal under federal law with the appropriate paperwork, and legal in many states.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a Liteweight Judge, I don't consider it a house gun.Its my car gun, that what is was designed for. Its too bulky for carry. My carry gun is a S&W airweight or Airlite revolver/ with crimson traces. House gun is now my FN-57 with frangible ammo. I f you stay put ,a shotgun will work, but if you're the type of person who goes out to check any noise, I would stay away from any long gun. Stay put ,wait for the bad guy to come to you. I honestly believe there is no such thing as a multipurpose gun.

Phil Berkowitz

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Please use duck, rabbit or bird shot in the hallway howitzer in your home. It will kill anything within the walls of a room but will not (maybe) kill the neighbors.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The thing I like about the 870 is the distinctive sound racking a round into the chamber makes in the dark of the night. If that does not send chills up the back of the intruder, and get him running a$$holes and elbows in the other direction, then you know he is not right. That may make your decision to use deadly force a little easier. If he does go the other direction, think of all the paperwork and stain cleanup you have saved.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The thing I like about the 870 is the distinctive sound racking a round into the chamber makes in the dark of the night. If that does not send chills up the back of the intruder, and get him running a$$holes and elbows in the other direction, then you know he is not right. That may make your decision to use deadly force a little easier. If he does go the other direction, think of all the paperwork and stain cleanup you have saved.

8. team henges

team henges TS Member

I like the look of the mossberg "chainsaw" id get one of those

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Yeh but what if you rack that shotgun and the felon who has broken into your home starts firing at the noise you just made? Or what if in the middle of the night half asleep you short stroke that pump and jam it up? Better to keep your protection ready at all times and not give the enemy the advantage.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"What if...what if...what if..."</blockquote>You don't need to rack a slide if the first round's already in the pipe!

MK

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

That's what I said.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tarus did a pretty good job of marketing the Judge and they are selling huge numbers of them. Evidently the market for these kind of revolvers is so good that S&W decided to get into it.

I gusee the concept of a pistol that throws a large pattern of projectiles makes people think they don't actually need to have any gun handling skills in order to be well protected.

Anyone that has any experience with a full sized .410 shotgun will tell you that the shell is useful for killing small ainmals and clay targets at close range and that is about it. Out of a short barrel handgun the ballistics are much worse and accuracy is no better than minute of a watermellon.

And yet they sell like hotcakes .....

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Back when times were good and I belonged to the gun of the month club, I bought a Taurus Judge, it had a malfunction, it would only fire every other round, I took it back to Cabela's and they didn't have another one so they gave me back my money, and I was damn glad they did, because the few times I did shoot the gun it was a joke I don't think the shot from the 410 would penetrate human skin, and if it did all you would do is pi$$ off the perp

We keep an 870 behind the door in our bedroom we have 0 Buckshot in it, we have no neighbors and it's just my wife and I in the house, but hell even a trap load at 10 yards would royally mess up somebodies day, and the only time they would hear me rack a shell into it would be the second shot to make sure they were dead

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

"minute of a watermellon"

hahahaha i love that one!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.