1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W 44 Mag KA-BOOM with reloaded ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

This has been an internet re-tread a number of times. The lack of pictures showing any headstamps so we could ascertain the mfg, and the fact that there has been an embargo on chinese arms and muntions since 94 leads me to believe that someone is lying about the facts.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I just got a PM that it was a reload.

But, no, the embargo on Chinese arms and munitions does not apply to sporting firearms, only military. This is why Savage is importing a clone of the M37, and why we're seeing Chinese clones of the Rem 870 and the old Win 1887 lever action shotgun. Plus Chinese non-military ammo.

4. skeet_man

I stand corrected (sorta), it looks like there was an exemption from shotguns and shotgun ammunition:

"Importations of most Norinco firearms and ammunition into the United States were blocked during the Clinton Administration in 1993 under new trade rules when China's Most Favored Nation status was renewed. Concerns about their use by criminals in inner cities was the reason put forward for the prohibition. The prohibition did not apply to sporting shotguns or shotgun ammunition however."

Surprised we don't see any chinese shotgun ammo. Maybe since they can't export other calibers to the US, they don't see the point in setting up a factory just to run shotgun shells. Even the chinese olympic shooters use italian ammo...

5. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Someone was trying to ramp up domestic sales of ammo....and the Chinese are an easy target....

It is very likely a reload gone bad....

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

We had some Chinese trap shells imported into Australia back in the early 2000's.

I will never forget them, called 'Jaling'. Blue case with a chrome brass. They were around 30% cheaper than anything else on the market.

Through a chronograph, at around 80 deg Fahrenheit, they would spit out around 1200 fps, with over 50 fps of variation.

Heat them up, say leave them in your trunk, on a 95 degree day, and they would spit out at around 1400 fps, with the fastest I ever recorded was 1490fps and the next shot 1325 fps!!!

The brass would blow off the case, primers would blow out the heads and holy shit they would kick like a bronco at the state fair! They were rubbish and so dangerous its a wonder no one got hurt!

If you guys ever get them do yourselves a favour and leave them at the store, regardless how cheap they are!

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This one blew up from using North Korean ammo.
    toolmaker251_2008_030389.jpg

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wonder if it was rifle specific ammo....

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Why would North Korea or China even load .44 mag ammo other than to export to the US? I doubt their military uses .44's and they don't exactly encourage private gun ownership. Given the current state of realtions between the countries, especially North Korea, why not slip a few doctored rounds in. Just to cause problems over here. Not sure I'd trust any ammo from a country we don't even really consider an ally, much less using ammo from a country we have accused of being a terrorist state.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There has been ammunition imported from Countries we don't necessarily consider our Allies for as long as i can remember. When the AK and SKS guns were imported by the 1000's upon 1000's the ammunition was comming in from every third World Country under the sun. I don't think that arguement of sabotage holds much merit. I think BigM may be closer to the truth.

11. jhoward

jhoward Member

The majority of that ammunition was military surplus was it not? As I questioned above, I doubt that North Korea uses any military weapons chambered for the .44 mag. Even if it's not intentional, I doubt they worry overmuch about the potential of injuring users since it is not intended for use by their military.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"I doubt they worry overmuch about the potential of injuring users"

This part i agree with and you will get no arguement from me. I doubt their quality control is anywhere near what it is the States. I would however think that in order for their ammunition to be sold in the US it would need to meet SAAMI specs which would mean it was tested pretty well.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you by North Korean and China ammo you get what you pay for. American made or I made ammo.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you by North Korean and China ammo you get what you pay for. American made or I made ammo.

15. skeet_man

If you guys really think north korea is exporting ANYTHING to the US, I've got some oceanfront property in idaho I'd like to sell.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The most plausable explanation for these blow ups is someone trying to make powder puff loads for their big bore revolver and ending up with a detonation. The photo of the 6" 629 has been around a few years but there have been several similar ocurrances with other .44 mag and .45 colt revolvers. The common denominator was handloads that were supposed to be on the mild side using small charges of fast burning powder.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The above picture of the 45lc that blew up from North Korean ammo is bullshit just like the 44mag and the Chinese ammo. I know the 45lc was destroyed using reloaded ammo, and likely so was the 44mag. You can show a picture and claim whatever you want, but the truth is carelessness ruined both of them.

18. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok please explain to me how a light load will cause a blow up like this? I would think that it would just cause the bullet to jam in the barrel, but don't understand how it would cause such an explosion.

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I was reading up on loading some sub sonic 223's with very little powder.. somewhere along the line someone posted to be very careful when shooting them.. for instance you were in a tree stand and shot with the gun aiming down there would be a gap between the powder and the primer.. and it cold cause a blow up..

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The scientific explanation for the detonation event is pretty gray but it involves the theory that the primer flash kind of skims over the powder charge and ignition begins by the base of the bullet instead of at the back of the case. When the rest of the charge does ignite the pressure spike is extreme and enough to blow the cylinder apart. Trouble is in duplicating such an event under controlled conditions. I don't know that has been done to a satisfactory conclusion.

But what has been demonstrated is that even compressed loads of typical magnum pistol type powder doesn't result in this kind of damage to the gun nor does a double charge of faster target type propellant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.