1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W 41 -least accurate-new test

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Shot some pistols today, off a bench at 10yds, with cheap Fed. ammo. Best groups with Ruger Govt (poor trigger), follwed by Browning Challenger (huge front blade), High Standard B, Ruger Single-six & S&W 41. This 41 was done by a well know pistol smith & shoots like crap- any ideas ??

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Doug, the first thing that catches my eye is, cheap Federal ammo. My 41 does not shoot it well either. CCI standard vel. shoots well. Wolf match also.

Steve

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Nice troll, but you don't give us any idea what "like crap" means to you. So all I can say is, no surprises there - all those pistols are very fine and accurate guns. You should not be a bit surprised if those results got re-shuffled randomly like a deck of cards, if you were to re-run the test.

Give us more detailed info and we might be able to help in a more substantive way.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Was this testing done with a machine rest?

5. Glockamole

Glockamole Member

Back it out to 20-25 yards with a vriety of good ammo and see what verdict is. Love mine.

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I used to shoot 22 match pistols quite a bit. I still have my High Standard Victor. What I found most target shooters would do was buy a variaty of 22 LR std velocity match ammo (Elley, Remington, Federal, Lapua and the like). Then shoot out of a machine rest to determine which ammo was the most accurate. When we discovered which ammo our particular pistols liked, we would note the lot number and go back to the distributer and order as much as they had (or we could afford) of that ammo in that lot number. Then we would sort the ammo by rim thicknes (we had some sort of gauge if memory serves me correctly) so that the rim thickness (and primer mix) were constant. Many of the model 41's I encountered back in those days weren't good shooters. But if you had a good one, it shot like a house on fire. I understood that later S&W went back into the 41 and straightened out any short commings the pistols may have had. I have a friend that shoots one to this day and it is quite accurate.

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

My 41 will shoot slightly better than a vintage supermatic with cci sv off the 25yd bench by half inch thereabouts.That said,Eley ammo will do any good gun great justice.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The test is meaningless without quality ammo. Crap ammo tells you nothing other than the gun fires and functions.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Crap ammo tells you more about the shooter than the gun IMHO

10. Kerz

Kerz Member

Agree with the others, ammo can (usually is) a prime consideration.
    Take selected lots of ammo, a good rest and setup for the afternoon.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My Belgian Browning challenger was partial to federal target. Ely match grade did not perform as well as some of the others I tried. They say each gun is different as to what performs well in it.
    My eyes are so bad anymore they are all about the same. Yuck.

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My 41 shoots extremely well using Remington std. velocity ammo. Costs a little more but well worth it. Mike.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I agree with Brian, bulk .22 rimfire is for tin cans. A lot of us at the club have been using Aquila Super-Extra in 40 grain plated RN, Eley primed. Really good stuff for about $30.00 a brick.

Wayne

14. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

As everyone has said, it is the ammo. We have found that every rifled firearm has an ammo that shoots the best. When I shot pistol competition, we custom made a slug/load that performed that best. My 41 will shoot 100 rounds through a dime sized hole at 15 yards off a sandbag. Find that right ammo and I bet yours will too.

Dave

15. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Lead build up can change the accuracy of you barrel. Try cleaning the barrel with something that will break up the lead. Does your 41 have a muzzle break? Most 41's with a muzzle break are leaded up. If it has one, try that test with it removed and see what the results are.

Dave

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While not directly related to the topic at hand, I had a recent learning experience regarding seemingly identical .22LR loadings.

I bought a Kimber .22LR target conversion kit for my Kimber 1911 and it wouldn't function - extract empties and feed new rounds - with the Federal GameShok loads that my S&W 617 revolvers prefer. That load (Federal's #712) consists of a 38-grain copper-plated hollow-point at 1,260fps. Kimber had the kit back and found it functioned well for them, so they suggested using CCI MiniMags - a 36-grain copper-plated bullet at 1,260fps - but they thought my ammo should work fine in it. I thought that if a 38-grain bullet at 1,260fps lacked enough oomph to cycle the slide, a two-grain lighter bullet at the same muzzle velocity wouldn't be an improvement. But it works great and does so without a hitch!

Kimber couldn't understand why that happened either but agreed with my suspicion that the Federal load might use a slower-burning powder more suited for a rifle's longer barrel while the CCI load's powder might be faster-burning and build more pressure in the pistol barrel.

I learned that you can't judge .22LR ammo by its label!

Ed

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My High Standard 10X shoots great groups with most pistol match but very ordinary groups with a few others. Really need to experiment.

18. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Personally, I have also been disappointed by the newer Model 41's - right up to the time I find the ammo they enjoy, and the bbl's finally 'shoot-in'. I have two 41's, one that is 35 years old, and one that is about 6 years old, both with 7" bbls. The senior model will out-shoot the Jr. with every brand of ammo except Wolf Match Target(yellow), then they get very equal. My winter Bullseye league spends two weeks chasing ammo brands before every start-date, for just this reason.

Second, if you're shooting the Federal Bulk box ammo, you have nothing to compare. None of my guns, pistol or rifle will shoot the lead bullet Federal bulk packs, or the new Federal American Eagle lead bullet shells with any regularity. Loosing the Federal American Eagle copper wash 40 ct. boxes of 5 years ago still irritates my grandson's.

I have a safe full of high $, highly accurate .22's, they are my passion. I buy my .22 ammo by the case, not brick. The newest offering of cheap bulk .22 ammo just doesn't perform consistently. I have a Win Mdl 52 target that will cut a .125 5-shot string on an indoor 75' range. I've had the Federal blue box bulk ammo move a string 2" off-center just between clips.

I have what is left of 3 cases of the cheap Federal Blue bulk packs in my ammo room right now that my grandson's are burning through with their 10-22's. Even they are disappointed in the bulk packs.

IME,
    Kip

19. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help & the insults.

20. MKW25

MKW25 Member

I use to shoot over 50,000 rounds a year, mostly .22's. Each gun will shoot differently with different types/brands of ammo. I have seen some of the most expensive guns shoot the cheapest ammo and vice versa. A friend of mine who was a three time Ohio State Smallbore champion in the late 50's told me that when going from one brand of .22 ammo to another to either clean the barrel and "season it". Shoot several rounds thru before going for a group. I still do this. I counted that I have over 28 different brands of .22 on the shelf. He explained that this is critical due to the different type of lube used by the manufacturer's. Finally you are dealing with rimfire's so there is alot to left to the unknown. In shooting BR-50 many of the guys went to the airguns because they are more consistant. Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

most accurate ammo for s&w 41

new s&w41 for sale

test federal 712 22lr