1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W 351-PD ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wayneo, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The wife wants a small revolver for her purse. We tried my model 60 with factory .38 Special, that was a no. Taurus makes a five shot .380 revolver, but I'm not a big fan of moon/star clips for the gun.

Then I got to looking for a .22 mag revolver. I've never shot a .22 mag out of a handgun before, I like the idea of seven shots, and she should be able to stay on target. Her handgun classes start when she picks out a gun. She wants a revolver, autos are out of discussion.

Any thoughts on a .22 mag for ccw? Thanks in advance.

Wayne

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What didn't she like about the S&W madel 60? HMB

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Probably the 38 is a little too much recoil and noise, at least my wife thinks so. I have several model 36's and she just dont like them so I got her a 380 ( PPK) and she likes the calibur but wanted something smaller so I got her a Seecamp 380 and she loves it. I have the Seecamp 32 and like it a lot

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Get her a S&W 6 shot J frame in .32 S&W long. My wife has one and really likes it.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thanks guys. HMB, what Lou said, recoil was too much for her. She is kinda small.

Shadow, what model is the .32 ? I can't find one on S&W website. Thanks

Wayne

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

They have not made the .32 J frame for many years but there are LOTS of them and the older I frames out there and they are fairly reasonable compared to most of the Smith stuff nowadays.
    I have a 22Mag. stainless J frame model 651 and like it a lot.
    There is getting to be some personal defense loads made for it and they are easy to shoot.
    Another option is the old .38 S&W Terrier. These were chambered in .38 S&W
    [not special] A shorter round that was very popular before 1960.
    I know a gal that runs a local Pawn shop that carries one everyday.

It would not suprise me if the 22Mag. is more potent than both the .32 and .38 S&W rounds.

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Wayne

Look for the Smith & Wesson 632 in .327 Federal Mag. With that gun, you can fire .327 Fed. Mag., .32 H&R Mag, .32 Smith & Wesson Long, or .32 Smith & Wesson. I am not sure, but it would be interesting to see if you could shoot .32 Auto out of it if you had a moon clip.

Ruger also makes a nice .327 Fed Mag revolver in their SP101 model. The 351PD is compact and light, but .22 mag makes a hell of a racket out of a pistol and throws a fair amount of fire. Something in the lighter .32 loads for practice and .32 H&R mag for defense might be just as good. Heck, if you have the means buy both, they are both great guns and .22 mag and the .32's are great rounds for many purposes.

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Wayneo, I have no idea where you live but, here in New Mexico we can NOT CCW a Rimfire weapon. This is info i was told about a month ago.Might want to check the laws in your state or maybe you already have. JMO Joe joe90t

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

...and the .327 can be handloaded for practice (practice is key).

10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have a S&W Model 632 and I like it very much. I do think the .327 Fed. Mag's are a bit stout. I usually use Fed. .32 H&R Mag and they are a bit milder.

Allen

11. skeetfield

skeetfield Member

I had a S&W 651PD 22 Mag and loved it...a friend talked me out of it and I've regretted it ever since. Ordered one six months ago and still have'nt received it. The gun weighted 10.4 oz and don't underestimate the 22 mag.

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I have a S&W 651, 22mag...Great gun!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.