1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W 1000M will not cycle light loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DavidWertz, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidWertz

DavidWertz TS Member

A friend just purchased a S&W 1000M Auto. We now realize that the 'M' designation must mean 'Magnum' because it will not cycle the lighter loads. Some googling has turned up multple posts regarding this subject, but without any good solution.

My question is: Can this gun be made to cycle lighter loads through modification?

David Wertz

2. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Mine will cycle 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz loads with about 95% reliability. Check to be sure the recoil buffer inside the magazine tube has not degraded. It is right behind the gas piston. If you see what looks like tar in the tube, it is what used to be the buffer. I usually have to lightly lube the area where the action tube slides on the magazine tube.

3. DavidWertz

DavidWertz TS Member

Probably a dumb question, but if that recoil buffer has degraded should it be replaced? Are they easy to locate?

Thank you for the reponse.

David Wertz

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This gun was taken over by Mossberg. I would think there may be a possibility of a Mossberg barrel working. I don't know if I would like to mess with the gas valving, feven though I do it with 1100's,

The plus is that the magnum has a steel receiver, the field models had alloy.

Super Skeets also have steel. I have a friend that wants to sell a Super Skeet.

PM me if interested.

HM

5. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I think GunParts usually have the recoil buffer in stock. I have read of taking a piece of heavy leather and making one, cut it out then oil the leather heavily. The buffer is about as thick as a hose washer out of a garden hose. It's purpose is to keep the pin that goes through the piston from striking the bottom of the slot in the magazine tube.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not having one here in the shop to look at, but I would have to assume that the pas port(2) could be drilled out a thousandths or two, permitting more gas to open the bolt and cycle the gun.

If it's not a gas situation, then a weaker recoil spring (possibly in the buttstock).

WW

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's a fairly old gun. the port(s) may be closed up to an estent also. I would start with a set of number drills and judiciously, using a pin vise to hold the drill, clean out the ports.

Be careful not to break the drill. getting one out is a horrific chore.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

s&w 1000 wont cycle light loads

s&w 1000m cycle target load

s&w 1000m dram minimum