1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

S&W 1000 Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rlcammer, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Keep it clean and oiled, use at least 3 dram 1 1/8oz or 3 1/4 dram 1oz. If you want to use lighter loads, you need to enlarge the gas ports.

My favorite Sporting Clays gun.........

Ric C.

2. joe scout

joe scout Member

F/S -- I have two S&W m1000 one is in very good condition has a 26" tula choked Skeet with factory porting, adjustble comb. Stock was cut down to 13-1/2" for my daughter. The other is a 3" mag. with screw-in chokes this gun was bought from an estate sale, missing a few minor parts, parts are available through gunparts.com -- some Mossburg auto parts are interchangable. Both guns for $550.00

Joe

Reno, Nv.

3. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I have been looking for one of these for a while. It was my first gun, back years ago. I am still interested in one, in really good shape. Any out there f/s?
    Steve

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

You know, one thing that really irks me, more than supposed gun owners thinking that democrats are harmless and won't ban guns, is the rush to half baked advice about "enlarging gas ports" on autoloading shotguns.

I cringe every time I read that - whether it's re: a Remington 1100 or 11-87 or any other semi auto (autoloading) shotgun. Someone has a cycling issue and the FIRST thing someone else comes up with is "enlarge the gas ports"

If your shotgun isn't cycling reliably, there are a whole bunch of other factors to consider first.

DON'T reach for the drill and start ruining a fine barrel by enlarging the gas ports. The engineers who designed them had them made them the size they are for a reason. Especially with guns like a S&W 1000 for which, barrels and parts are not as plentiful as for an 1100. Start with the simple process of elimination first, after having first cleaned your gun and inspected all the parts to make sure they're ok

Just a thought.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Smith and wesson just re introduced the 1000. I do not know how much alike it is to the older model?

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

check it out

7. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

stevel-ct.........

If I "irked" you, that's too bad........ I really don't care.

I did not say "Grab the drill". It was a suggestion for making a properly working M1000 to function with light target loads.

If you are equating me with gun-control Democrats, I am deeply offended.

Ric C.

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

whatever dude, you don't care about glib advice that can ruin a gun and I don't care that you're offended that I called you out on it. I never brought your party of choice into it. You're taking that part totally out of context.

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

And uhhh yeah - maybe you didn't say "Grab the drill" but what other logical conclusion may one reach when you openly state : "If you want to use lighter loads, you need to enlarge the gas ports."

To most people, that would mean - grab the drill.

It's not the best piece of first advice to give someone who has a legitimate question about a functioning issue on a semiauto; I don't agree with your statement; it's too broad and too general. Not trying to offend you - just trying to get the originator of the thread to realize he has other options before enlarging ports and then when he goes and takes the same gun hunting and it train wrecks the action - he won't know why. Enlarging ports is like squeezing toothpaste out of the tube - once it's done - you can't put it back.

I am not making any comparison of you, specifically to a democrat anti gun troll. I just didn't like the way your advice could be interpreted. That's all.

Shoot well. Over and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.