1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???s on HHR

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ross, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Does anybody own an HHR or had one? Just thinking about getting one for wife to run around in, they look like they would be handy for town and short trips. Anything to watch out for, or look for? Looking for any and all comments good-bad-ugly. Thanks in advance!-- Ross Puls

Maybe contact me by PM so we don't bother anybody else??

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have a 2009 Panel and just love it for my trap shooting travel. It has more room than some large SUV's, since there is no rear seats. My wife bought one in 2005 and it was a real zippy little thing with a 5 speed and 2.2 engine, that sipped gas and was a blast to drive with the sport suspension. She traded it in a 2008 Caddy.

2011 is the last model year for the HHR, as the Chevy Cobalt was discoutined to make way for the Cruze/Volt body, it also ended the HHR.

Right now they are bringing a premium on used car market, as are many compact cars.

Tibits: The HHR (Heritage High Roof) was designed by the same guy that designed the PT Crusier. The HHR was a takeoff on the 1959 Suburban, which looks small in compared to today's behemoth.

I would suggest you buy one that is loaded and with the bigger engine and stick, unless your wife doesn't like sticks, but they get the best mileage.

Funny thing, they did not catch on here in Denver for a long time, but now there are quite a few. Seems like Phoneix and Chicago likes them quite a bit, for there are a lot of those and PT's running around.

3. LI

LI TS Member

We just bought a 2011 HHR primarily to tow 4 down behind our motorhome. Release the parking brake, trans. in Neutral (we have an auto), key to accessory, pull the #8 fuse and go down the road. Car is small but suprisingly good on storage space with a flat cargo area. Handles pretty good, we like it. Larry

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Have one I bought new in 2007.......performance has been flawless for 75,000 miles. It has the 2.4 liter, auto, leather, etc. Gets 30 mpg highway. Soon to be for sale.

Ken Rucker

5. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

I have a 2009 Panel LT 2 LT with the 2.4 and LOve it.
    If u have any questions pm me.
    Shane

6. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

I JUST PURCHASED A USED 2011 HHR LAST WEEK. IT CAME WITH A NOISE IN THE LEFT FRONT. TOOK IT TO KASPER DEALER IN NORWALK OH. THEY REPLACED THE STEERING COLUMN. NOISE IS GONE. THIS HAPPENS TO ABOUT ONE THIRD OF THEM IT WAS SAID. SO FAR WE LOVE THIS LITTLE DEVIL. USING IT FOR MY SECOND CAR. HOPE TO GET SOMEWHERE AROUND 30 MPG. NICE QUIET CAR.

7. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Bought mine in 07 and never looked back. I'm not a leadfoot, so I get an overall average of just over 30 MPG. Hwy miles at 60 to 62 MPH is almost 38. I put a #1000 hitch on it and tow my john boat like it wasn't there, and I'm running the 2.2 engine.

Way to go GM. Build something everyone likes, and then discontinue it.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's made by Government Motors, who stabbed their bondholders and America in the back when it went on welfare (and lied on TV about paying it back early).

What more needs to be said? (I've got plenty more, just ask)

-Gary

9. Rick Barker

GW22.

HHR's had their run, during General Motors. Government Motors discontinued them.

Barfin, I think you put your finger on the problems you have been having with first sentence of your post.

But you think this car is poorly built and too small and light now, just wait until you see what is in the future when cars makers have to meet the new CAFE standards coming down the road.

You and many others will look back at the HHR and fondly remember the good old days, when they make large, roomy cars.

10. Rick Barker

From Wikipeda

"On May 19, 2009 President Barack Obama proposed a new national fuel economy program which adopts uniform federal standards to regulate both fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions while preserving the legal authorities of DOT, EPA and California. The program covers model year 2012 to model year 2016 and ultimately requires an average fuel economy standard of 35.5 miles per US gallon (6.63 L/100 km; 42.6 mpg-imp) in 2016 (of 39 miles per gallon for cars and 30 mpg for trucks), a jump from the current average for all vehicles of 25 miles per gallon.

On July 29, 2011 President Obama announced a historic agreement with thirteen major automakers to pursue the next phase in the Administration’s national vehicle program, increasing fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025."

11. hoot619

hoot619 Member

My son has one. About a year old now maybe 2. He likes it . I would buy one
    if I could. Ken U

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, almost everyone seems to be in agreement, so guess we will start looking in earnest. This is a GREAT bunch of people with vast knowledge and all are happy to help-- also MANY thanks to David for providing a place like this for all of us. Ross Puls

13. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

I had one for a few days as a rental car while in Chicago. I thought the car was great, but in heavy traffic, I found the car to have some major blind spots. I drive a Tahoe at home so maybe it is unfair to compare, or i just needed to get used to it. Fine car though.

14. Rick Barker

Jayzap.

I went from my 3rd Tahoe to my HHR, after retirement, so I know what your saying.

First time I drove it to the club, someone asked me if I washed my Tahoe in hot water, as they were the same color and shape, I guess.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I work at an Enterprise Car Sales location. Every HHR we get in sells quickly, so there must be something good about them.

Someone mentioned light weight earlier. Yesterday, I was driving a 2011 Camry in heavy rain with the wipers on high speed. When I stopped at a traffic signal, I could feel the car rocking back and forth in time with the wipers. "Can't be," I thought and switched the wipers to low speed; it was harder to detect and slower but still there. I then switched the wipers back to "high" and the rock-n-roll party started back up. That's either a REAL light car or some mighty heavy wiper arms!

Ed

16. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

HHR in 2008 had a recall on them because it didn't have a protective skid plate in front of the engine. Stones kicked up and made holes in our air conditioning pipes. They fixed it after I wrote to GM. We had the car until a buck in the Rutt thought it was bigger than our car. The buck died. We got rid of the car shortly after

17. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

Spent a couple weeks in one as a rental. Peppy engine, very quiet and nice suspension. The steering did not provide any feedback at all and the fuel economy was less than what you would expect from a smaller vehicle. I would guess less than 25mpg especially with the E85 that I fueled up with. Taller individuals will have decreased visibility with rear view mirror blocking forward view across intersections. Seats were very basic flat board style. Not uncomfortable but not too comfortable for cross country driving.

With a few tweaks they could make it a really good ride. I think it would be a great vehicle for a female around town car, especially if she's not a gearhead.

GM is dc'ing this car? LOL, it starts to catch on and GM pulls the plug.. How miserable! Pontiac had it going with the Vibe and they dc'd that too.

18. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Had a 2009 ss model that comes with 260 turbo horses. I added the factory chevy upgrade to 300 horse for only 500 bucks. Wow it would fly. It also was stick shift and I towed it behind my motor home. I would love to sell the base mounting plate to pull one if you happen to buy an hhr. It never gave me a bit of problems and drove it 20K. Had to buy a different car for another reason but it was nice. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.