1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?'s on Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SirMissalott, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Have started using Chedite primers due to cost seem to be working fine. Has anyone got good or bad results using them? Seconddly have heard that they are larger in diameter and if you use them once hulls won't accept a Winchester 209 any truth? Thanks Jim W.

2. klundman

klundman TS Member

i'm on my second brick of 5,000 now. have not had one single problem with them.i will use them as long as they are available to me. and the price stays right.

3. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Depends on your gun -- if your firing pins are not piercing the primer you are ok -- but if it is the case -- be prepared to replace the firing pins -- the heat from the flash of the primer will destroy the tip of the pins -- I know it happened to me -- Doug

4. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I wouldn't and wont buy anything the french make no matter what the savings are!!!

5. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I'm on my second brick of 5000 as well. I haven't had any problems yet.

Several of the more experienced shooters at my club have shot 1000's and haven't had a problem yet.

That being said to many people have had to replace firing pins for it to just be a rumor.

6. JRW

JRW Member

The cheddite primers worked well for me, except for the firing pin problem. Jerry

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Some people have had firing pin issues. I have not encountered any. Some of the older Cheddite primers were the larger size, but all of the ones I have obtained recently were of the standard 209 swize and are close to the Remingtons, Winchesters, Federals, etc. I have not had any trouble with enlarged primer pockets when using these primers. There is a lot of data out there for them too. They are pretty close to the Winchester 209 in performance and I have not encountered any cold weather issues with them. I wish I had bought a lot more when they were $65 for 5000.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Ditto what Michmoe said.

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Thanks to all

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Sir, In the recent past, I estimated using at least 100,000 of the Cheddites in AA and STS hulls and never had a negative issue with them. This was a time when I registered trap, shot that or more at social Skeet, and dabbled in the Sporting Clays game as well. I interchanged Winchesters on occasion with no problems with primer pockets going back and forth. One observation was made with the Cheddites, however, and that was that they weren't tapered much if at all and had a pretty squared angle at the flash hole end. They tended to "snap" into primer pockets on newer shells rather than slip in. The snapping noise would occasionally startle me when loading.

At a recent point, they were so close in price to Winchesters that I resumed buying USA made primers and still have 10K Winnies secreted in the work area. At present, it seems the Cheddites held their price and the Winnies are remarkably higher. If that holds, I'll be buying Cheddites or trying Fiocchis by next year....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Drop the Frenchy Cheddite primers and buy the Spanish Rio's, Nobels, or Italian Fiocchi. American PMC primers are cheap and good too if you can find them

They all work well.

12. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I've been using cheddites for a while now with no problems. I have had a few piercings, probably about 20 in every 3,000, not enought to do much to my firing pin. After I'm out of these, I'm switching to RIO's since I got a case of them for a great price, then, if I can't find any more RIO's, I'll be back to the cheddites.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

jbmOU

Careful with those RIO primers. They seem to be as hot or hotter than the Federal 209A. Adjust your loads accordingly. RIO had some very limited loading data out there. I'm sure a thread search would reveal the link. They are a decent primer, but they are oversized. I use a lot of them for my one-way shells.

14. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I was planning on using the Fed. 209A data for them. I had thread on here about them a while ago and got a lot of info about them.

Are they more oversized than the cheddites? Will I have problems if I use them and switch back to cheddites? Thanks

15. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

jbmOU, I don't know where you got the idea that Cheddites were over sized, but you're wrong. Other than one being slightly longer than the other, WW209 and CH209 are sized identically.
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Big Al 29, would those Italian made Fiocchis be different than the Fiocchis made in or near Springfield, Missouri?

Buz aka Mythbuster

16. flylta

flylta TS Member

Where can I buy these "discount" primers?

17. roper

roper TS Member

I know when I shot a browning and used cheddite primers I was changing firing pins like I was changing my under shorts. They like to chip the tips of firing pins, why? I dunno.

ROPA

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

jbmOU

The Cheddites are not oversized, or at least the 209 size of recent manufacture. The RIO is indeed a bit larger than the standard 209 primer. by a thousandth and change. I'll have to try getting a good closeup like alfermann66 and find my digital mic. You probably will not be able to use a standard 209 primer after using the RIO G-600 in a hull. They definitely enlarged the primer pocket of the hulls I used them in. I mostly use them for one-way shells, but if you use the RIO primer again, it's not a problem. I put a stripe accross the base of the shell and over the primer, so I know that it has a RIO in it.

19. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

ROPA, I shoot a Citori for doubles and the wife shoots a Belgian made Lightning. I've been using the Cheddites since Graf began importing them with no firing pin issues. There have been a number of people on this site claim they have had problems, so I don't doubt that some have, but I'm at a loss to explain why.

Buz

20. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I also have used tens of thousands of Cheddite primers with absolutely no problems.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheddite primers firing pin issues

cheddite primers in sts hulls trapshooters

has anyone used cheddite primers