1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?'s for Rem.1100 afficionados - fore end wood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Spanky, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Early season small game ended for me yesterday. I'm pretty much a Remington guy for my shotgun hunting. Took apart and thoroughly cleaned (2) Wingmasters, one fixed modified, one fixed full and my 1100 with a fixed modified. All 2 3/4" chambers and are that late 70's early 80's style.

Anyway, while cleaning the 1100 I found a crack in my fore end. Wood has a crack on top side of fore end underneath of barrel. My fore end wood has a steel sleeve through it where my magazine goes through. The split(crack)is on the top side of the steel sleeve.

Is this a common problem? Have you guys had this happen to you? Is a quick fix a type of apoxy? Maybe a small reinforcement modification?

It's possible it has been cracked for some time and I just didn't notice it. I don't think my whole fore end is going to split in half but, you never know. I'll be honest I've never abused these guns but never babied them either.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Try some elmers wood glue using a syringe, wipe away excess and clamp that should do it. I've owned my 1100 for over thirty years no problems with the wood or any other part of the gun. Will take it derr hunintg this weekend and trap shooting next week.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I would advise against Elmers Glue. Instead, use Accruglas or other bedding compound. Much stronger.

4. 333t

333t Member

If the crack has some give to it (it moves when you squeeze the outside of the forearm) I would fill the crack with epoxy and clamp together with some heavy rubber bands overnight. Keep the epoxy about level with the surface so it doesn't interfere with the barrel when set.

If there is no give in the crack you can probably ignore it as there is no real stress involved there anyway. Also, the way the metal liner tube is mounted will hold the forearm together. I guess if it was my gun I'd fill it with epoxy either way just to be safe and get it off my mind.

Phil

5. bkms

bkms Member

I have seen this happen on 1100's that have been shot alot. My dad would take 2 part epoxy glue and force it into the crack. Then he would put leather or another protector on the outside of the forearm and put the forearm in a clamp or vise. Let it sit for several days and it should be fine. Dont tighten the clamp/vise no more than needed though. Bob...

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Check on E-bay for a good used one cheap.

7. skrap56

skrap56 Member

New 1100's come with a brass colored screw that goes across the fore end where yours is cracked. The head is ground off then the wood is finished. I don't know if that metal ring part is an actual support other than holding the detent ball for the mag cap. I'v used elmers commercial ? glue that is off white to repair a cracked stock.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

To make my repair I use a Dremal tool and sanded out the very bottom of the radius down to the walnut approx 1/8" - 3/16" on both sides of the crack. Mixed up two part apoxy and applied to that area. I carefully opened and closed the crack ever so slightly trying to get apoxy into it. Used a heavy duty rubber band around fore end to apply a small amount of pressure. The apoxy smoothed itself out on its own. When it completely dried you could not tell the difference between the apoxy and the 26 year old Dupont Gloss Finish. This may have been only a good band aide repair to the fore end but it did remove the pit in my stomach. Heck the wood has been drying for over 26 years and it is relativly thin in that area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.