1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?'s about a Ruger Model 77

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Professional, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

?

I'm thinking about buying a Ruger Model 77 in 30-06 Springfield.

I would like a gun good to 300 yards. good or bad move?

Thanks!!

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

You do your part the rifle will do it's, I have a 77 in 270win, I get good hunting accuracy at 300 no problem.

Rick

3. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Ruger 77's are as good a rifle as any, and 3006 is about the best all purpose caliber. You'll need an all purpose 3-9 scope too. Practice at 300 yards if you want to shoot that distance, then figure your zero at 100, 200, and 350 for proper hold.

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

buy a timmney trigger - adjust down to 2 3/4 #

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My favorite (and only) game rifles are Ruger M77 MK II's. The 30/06 will get 'er done out to 300 yards.

With the 165 gr BTSP bullet, using the rule of three (three inches high at 100 yards) will give you the maximum point blank range. Hold dead on from 0 to 285 yards, and 6" high at 300. This will put rounds in a 6" circle between those ranges. This is a good kill zone for most big game.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I prefer the Mark IIs to the earlier ones because they have the Model 70 type three position safety. I have one in .243 and it is a handy little rifle that has produced some really nice groups. Have not had the chance to shoot beyond 200 yet but soon.

7. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

I have one in heavy barrel 22/250. Very good gun except the trigger is junk. I agree,I will be looking in to a Timney trigger later this summer

Austin Fatts

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have a bunch of M77s, all but one the earlier model with the tang safety. I have had varying experience with accuracy. My first was one of the original run in 7x57. It has always been mediocre in accuracy, in spite of all attempts to improve it (glass bedding, recrowning). Years ago I loaded some Sierra 168 gr Matchkings, and they were keyholing on the target at 100 yards. I had a .257 Roberts that was OK but not great. I traded it for a .220 Swift that I still have that is very good. I have another .257 Roberts Ultralight that is sometimes good, sometimes bad. My youngest son has a .270 Winchester Mark II that is very accurate. In contrast, both of my #1s, one in 6mm Remington, the other in .280 Remington, have always been very accurate with all loads, under 2" at 300 yards.

My advice is to shoot it before you buy, if you can. Also there is nothing wrong with the .30-06, although I prefer the .280.

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

For the money they are 1 of the best in rifles youll find I personally have the 06, 243, 22-250vt and 223 all in the 77rbz series and wouldnt trade any of them they have done every thing from chucks to deer and havent done me wrong yet.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The new triggers on the Hawkeye series are a great improvement over the MKII series...I have a 77 Hawkeye Stainless/Laminated stock 30-06 with a Leupold VXIII 3x-9x that is deadly accurate with all but one factory load that I've put through it...and it was one of those odd sabot accelerators from Remington which I just wanted to shoot up anyhow as they never were particularly that great in any rifle they were shot out of

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Ruger 77 is IMO similar essentially a Mauser 98 action and is solid as a rock. I have a 77 II Varmint in .223 Remington which shoots under 1 MOA. I have no complaints about the trigger. A 30/06 will get the job done and you have a wide selection of factory ammo available.

300 yards is a long but doable shot with the 30/06.

I took many a deer with the 30/06 Remington Express (Green Box) factory ammo in a Remington 700 BDL. My favorite loading was the 180 grain PSP Core Lokt. If you are looking for the 300 yard shot, I would go with the 165 BT as Shooting Coach recommends.

Be sure to practice and if you do get get a 300 yard shot, I hope you can shoot from a supported position.

Ed Ward

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a M77 in 270 and another M77 in 7 MM, both are accurate enough for my hunting needs. I did have to get a new spring in the bolt on the 270 since it was giving some weak firing pin hits and a few misfires.

13. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I have three of the 77's,(.308 Win, .280 Rem and .338 Win Mag. All three had the worst triggers I've seen on a sporting rifle. The triggers and sears looked as though they had been milled with chipped bits. Was going to replace the triggers and so I started polishing both the sear and trigger until they had a mirror surface. Got them all down to 3 1/2 pounds and all three are a pleasure to shoot. Shooting Coach is dead on with his sight in recommendations and all three rifles will take game out to 300 yds, in fact I took a large Mulie right at 400 yds with the .308 and a 150 gr Hornady Spire Pt. with a single shot. Also good advice, practice, practice, practice. As far as the 30-06, it will do everything your looking for and then some, got to ba a very good reason it's been around so long. Good luck with your decision and enjoy shooting it.
    Bill

14. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

The M 77 action is hell for stout, triggers are not so much, hunting functional accuracy. My old style tang safety in 7 mag has always been a finicky witch,regardless of any & all accuracy improvement techniques. There is 1 and 1 only load that the old heifer will "group", every thing else patterns like a shotgun!!!LOL.

But she is mine, I've got her & I have had the old girl for over 30 years. Been "Minute of Ibex" dependable on 3 continents so far.

I have shot a 55 gallon drum of powder & bullets out of it, there aren't any secrets about how it will perform for me. In my opinion shooting rifles well is no different than shooting trap well, you gotta burn powder to get good at it & stay good at it.

I don't think you would go wrong with a M77.

Ibex

15. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I bought one a year ago... Stainless poly... in the .280 Rem... I don't know what a tuned trigger is, but this thing pounds tacks. Topped with a Nikon 3X9... Basically traded a 7mm Rem 700 for it... Never regretted it a bit...

LWL

16. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

I have one in .257 Roberts. Deer killing machine with the 117+P bullet. I did have the trigger re-worked. Wouldn't have any concerns buying or recommending the 30-06.

17. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

What do you think the price range should be on this? It hasn't been shot more than 20 times. Looks like its brand new.

I'm used to shotguns, not rifles lol!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
anyone shooting top tang safety heavy barrel ruger in 22-250 how does it shoot
heavy barrel top tang safety ruger in 280 rem

ruger m77 mark ii 30-06 zeroed at 200 yards

shooting heavybarrel ruger tang safety 280 remington
shooting ruger tang safety heavy barrel in 280 remington how does it shoot
shooting ruger top tang safety heavy barrel in 280 remington
what is the most accurate factory shell in a ruger m77 30-06
what should a ruger m77 mark 11 group at 200 yards