1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RXP Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I am looking for loads for winchester 209 primers, PB powder. RXP wads in Remington STS hulls. I am thinking about calling Hodgdon. I thought I would check here first. Thank you for any comments.

Dave

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Probably make some heavy payload annies. Thats a short wad for a long hull. Jeff

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My favorite, I get the best patterns with that wad. Works in STSs & old style AAs with 1&1\8oz. (when I shoot 1&1\8 usually shoot only 7\8) much data available from most all powder co. You will like them. Ross Puls

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Ross as you said I get good patterns with greendot but I want to load PB and I can't find any loading data for STS's. Like there is loading data for other hulls but not for STS hulls. Hodgdon has loading data for AA white wads and Fig. 8 wads. The RXP wad is loaded the same in AA Hulls so I would assume it would be the same in the STS but I will call Hodgdon tomorrow to make sure. I thought someone would have already found out.

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

I'd be interested to find out if they don't just say to sub the fig8 data.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

locdoc: I've often wondered the same thing but when you look at the recommended data there is usually about 1\2gr & small PSI difference with most current powders. With PBs low chamber pressures would would 1\2gr make that much difference?? Ross Puls

7. locdoc

locdoc Member

Ross,

I agree in that there would not be much difference.

BUT........

In the interest of safety I would like to get the blessings of the balisticians @ Hodgdon.

I like the RXP wad with 7625 and they provide a good selection of loads for that.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

locdoc-- I AGREE. Ross

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is not as exact a science as many of the anal types would think. I have seen the same recipes in different manuals with different velocity and pressures.

Geez, I can't even chrony 5 loads the same. So check a few loads and use some discretion. Stay away from the top end is all.

HM

10. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I called Hodgdon Powder and this is what he told me. They didn't have loads for STS hulls and RXP wads because it's an old remington wad and no one loads them. He told me the best load pattern wise is 21 to 22 grains of PB. The rep said I could go to 23 1/2 grains but the pattern would not be as good. That's fine with me as I shoot light handicaps STS's anyway and 22 grains of PB will duplicate it.

Dave

11. locdoc

locdoc Member

That seems about right. Thanks for your efforts, Dave.

Doug

Garyd thanked this.
  12. lostandout

lostandout Member

looking at my 1975-76 load book for an rxp hull alliant still calls them out with sts and nitros winchester 209 22.5g pb ppw29930(rxp wad)1 1/8 oz shot 1215 fps 7700 psi

brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rxp wads

remington ppw29930

rxp wads