1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

RXP-12 wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootinbubba, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

I was just courious to everyones opinion of the RXP-12 wad

2. high 2

high 2 Member

I`ve got some I`d sell if you need some. Larry

3. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

What are the pros and cons of them? If any either way

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

- they are pretty costly, compared to all the clones

- they are pretty stiff and sometimes hard(er) to load

- I don't know abt sealing an over-bore as Tin-man said, but I know they crimp well with 1¬ľoz of shot in FGM hulls and the crimp is a lot softer with only 1-1/8oz.

Bob

5. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

I use the RXP12s and Fig8s. Excellent performance but you do pay a premium for them. I load 1 1/8 oz only. I run them through a Grand which has plenty of room for a stiff wad. Not sure if you would have a problem with a MEC where the clearance is smaller.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They've been around since the RXP target loads came out in the 70's or so. They are a decent wad, but newer designs seem to work as well, if not better, at lower cost. I have loaded thousands of them with good results. I don't load them anymore, since some newer designs seem to work better for me. I still have a partial case of them and many once fired, new loaded shells, and NEW RXP primed hulls, but prefer to waste my time loading the newer stuff. Patterns back then were remarkably good, when compared to some of the stuff we used ten years prior to their debut. I shot my 1st 100 straight with RXP reloads using 700-X and the 29930 RXP wad. I know they worked reasonably well in cold weather when loaded right. Today, cost would be the issue. I don't think there is enough of an advantage, if any, in spending that much for the OEM wad of yesteryear. I also have not done a side by side comparison with them in quite some time, so I can't say if they are the "Magic Bullet" or not. Back then, they didn't seem to work any better than the Winchester Wads did. I do remember comparing about thirty or fourty patterns of each type and not having a clear winner, except my component supplier.

7. trapshootinbubba

trapshootinbubba Member

Thanks Quackshot Im new to trapshooting and i have some of those reloaded but didnt know the history of how they stacked up against other wads

8. 4th. down

4th. down Member

The RXP is a very good patterning 1 1/8 oz. wad IMHO. With Green Dot @ 1250fps.it will perform way out there. I think it is comparable to AA SHCP. It is costly and don't shoot it for practice but when I have to hit a target 40-60 yds. out, I use it with hard 7 1/2's. Loads good with AA and Rem. In my opinion, I believe the DRV wad is comparable for less $$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.