1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RX shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I am looking at purchasing my first pair of RX shooting glasses. I use a contact in one eye now, they are causing eye irriation after 2 hours. I have asked about just the RX in my right lens, told that is no problem. I would like some comments about who has Decots and or RE Rangers, pros and cons if you have them. If anybody has owned both info soooo appreciated...Thanks Deb

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Get the Ranger with the clip on color. Then you only have to pay for one set of Rx. The clip on colors run about $50.00 ea. Best move I've made. I used Morgan Optical. Jake

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll second Morgan Optical based upon my personal experience and service. I have worked with and referred numerous others within my Club to Wayne Morgan, and all have been satisfied, both during and after the sale.

When anyone needed to replace/adjust Rxs or just add additional lenses to the inventory MO gave terrific service. Well regarded within the industry and located in Olean, NY.

Jay Spitz

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I will third the endorsement for the Ranger Sporter, with clip on lenses. Got the base lense (bi-focal) with 3 colors-med yellow, vermillion & CMT--handles all my lighting conditions- Used to use Post-4 but it got a little too expensive changing complete set of 3 perscription bi-focals every year--By the way Morgan optical are great people to deal with.

Phil Berkowitz

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have been using Decots (the Hy-Wyd frames) for years with my prescription and in my opinion they are simply great to work with. Used to use single vision lenses, but this time around with new prescription, I specified a bi-focal. Decot makes a special bi-focal with the small part specially located to not interfere with normal shooting vision, but available at the very bottom of the lens to enable reading of instructions, look at gun, etc close up. Really like this set and style. Also had them make a set of handgun shooting lenses, they place the bi-focal at the top of the lens so that the pistol sights are clear. As an example of how they take care of you, since I normally order lenses for my clay shooting, when I sent in my order for the clear pistol lenses (via their web site) I shortly got a call from Decot asking me if that was what I meant to order since my previous orders had differed. After discussing this, they suggested I only have the bifocal in the right (dominant) eye for the pistol lenses as not needed in the left and that would save me some money. Now that is what I call great customer concern and service. Decot has my vote every time.

Jim R

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I do not wear Rx, but service many who do as I am a Decot Dealer. Contact me if you have any questions.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Consider the Ranger XLW with the RX insert. Good luck. JM

8. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Last year I purchased the ESS ICE system and Rx inserts and have been happy with them. It seemed less expensive than the other alternatives I looked into at the time. I purchased the frames ($49.50) and metal Rx insert ($27.00) from http://www.safetyglassesusa.com If I had to do over again, I'd have ESS grind the lenses or find somebody that specializes in shooting glasses make the lenses as these need a higher base curve and my regular optometrist hadn't had any experience in this area (they do now, though). I had a very positive experience with ESS, their optometrist, and safetyglassesusa.com.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/essice243len.html
    http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/essicerxlenc.html

9. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

I will fourth or fifth the Ranger with the clip-ons. It is actually called the "Sporter." Morgan Optical is where I went..

10. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I really looked into this and went for the Decot Hy-Wyd. It was the perfect solution for me, but the bottom line is go for what you need. For me it was getting the right lenses as I am light sensitive. Also, I absolutely hate having a heavy glasses on my nose. I was really concerned that going with a clip-on or other insert would add more weight than I would want on my nose. The Decot filled both options perfectly. Hal Hitchcock

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been a Decot user for all the years with Rx lenses. Happy with the International frames. I even have flat top, low as possible bifocals on mine adequate to work on a gun or read scores from up to 5' or so. They're good to work with via phone orders....Bob Dodd

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Contact this Ohio Ranger dealer. He's on top of making sure you get the proper shooting glasses for your needs! Hap

13. Kimball

Kimball TS Member

I will 2nd the Ranger XLW with the RX insert. Have been shooting with them for two months and they are great, One set of Rx lenses and choose the colors you would like to go over them. Bought them from Tom at Texas Shooters Supply. Just send him you prescription.

14. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Keepwoodonwood, I too purchased the ESS ICE System and love it. I used Optic Planetsfor the full system and I'm very happy. My employer requires safety glasses for work so they pay for part of my shooting glasses.But the best part is when I scratch a lense it's only $12 to replace.KISS Jay

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Custom Sports Wear and Optical for Ranger Rx he is at most large shoots. Hi is located near Baltimore, Ohio.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Call Mike Rinard at Post 4 Optics. 1.800.833.6362

17. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Thanks for everybodies comments. Does anybody shoot that is one eyed shooter with just one RX lens?

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I close my one eye, I use one lens... really, I need a script for each eye otherwise... has one of your eyes got 20/20 vision?!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ranger glasses rx
ranger perscription shooting glasses
ranger shooting glasses prescription inserts
ranger xlw instructions
rx glasses for trap shooting

rx trap shooting glasses