1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rx shooting glasses or non rx and contacts?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by brian meyerhofer, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I need an eye exam and was also thinking about getting some shooting glasses. I am wondering if I should just get contacts and inexpensive non prescription shooting glasses or if I should get prescription shooting glasses. Non prescription would be less expensive and I would not have to get new lenses when my script changes. But I am not sure how clear contacts are for trap shooting.

Thoughts from those of you who might have tried this are greatly appreciated.

2. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I feel the contacts was my best move. I have a set of rangers with 3 sets of lens, and I'm well pleased. Your eye is always centered in the contact, not so with prescription glasses. J.Woolsey

3. jvsomers

jvsomers Guest

Take a look at the 'RX Sporter' clip on lens from www.morganoptical.net
    The lens colors are about $50 each.

John

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Your first inclination was right on... buy non-Rx, get polycarb lenses which are impact resistant - not so with CR39 plastic. Contacts are more cost efficient and you'll have no problems.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All ML baseball players use contacts. Doe that tell you something?

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used contacts and planeo glasses for years and in my humble opinion its the only way to go ... I have 12 pair of Decot lenses and would not want to have to reorder new ones everytime my eyesight changes ... I have 20/20 plus vision with contacts and you cannot get much better than that ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

While I do not personally wear contacts, the experience my wife has had would suggest going the contact and plano lens route. For all the reasons you see above, but also what we found is that we would find situations where we were presented with an opportunity to go shooting and she was wearing her contacts, and maybe no place to take them out, so she could use her prescription shooting glasses. If you are going to be wearing the contacts most of the time anyway, it seemed a better idea to stay with the contacts and buy plano. It hasn't hurt her scores, she won the last two times out.
    Dennis

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

From a different perspective.

I tried contacts about 10 years ago. Never liked them. By 4:00 in the afternoon, the contacts were so dry, I'd have to add eye drops every 15 minutes or so just to see.

Gave up. Been wearing glasses ever since.

I have had very good luck with Post 4 shooting glasses with prescription lenses. Yeah, the lenses are more expensive, but all I use are the clear lenses anyway. Never found the colored lenses to help all that much.

9. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I tried the contact route and couldn't get them to work for me. I have an astigmatism in my right (of course the shooting) eye and just couldn't get them to go in and sit in the correct place. So, I use the prescription lenses. I recently had another eye exam and my Doctor told me that with my prescription, I would get better vision with corrective lenses than with contacts. Bill Malcolm

10. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

And yet another twist to the argument...contact lenses work much better for me for everything BUT shooting; I am right eye dominant, but my latest C/L prescription has me wearing the same power lense in each eye, so I have to squint the left eye (or leave my left lense out)to avoid problems.

Best advice anybody can give you is to consult with an optometrist who specializes in fitting shooters with glasses or contacts; one of these days, I'm going to get upstate (PA) to see this guy;

Dr Frank Rively Optometrist, Vison consultation and shooting glasses. Decot Hy-Wyd, Scopz by Zeiss, and Ranger frames. Precision Rx Lenses.

Clarks Summit,PA
    Phone (570)586-2020
    Fax (570)586-9282

I know a guy who had Dr. Rively fit him with prescription shooting glasses (Decots, I think), and the results in his shooting were amazing...
    JoeBerg

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This perspective is really going to sound weird but it's true. Glasses make things look larger for me. Really! I lost my glasses two years ago and needed to replace them sooner than my optometrist could make replacements, so I went for contacts and tried shooting with my son's non-Rx shooting glasses. The results were "okay" and while I thought I was probably imagining things, the targets looked smaller.

Then I rode my motorcycle with my contacts in and could not believe how much more I felt like a part of the bike. It was like being IN the bike instead of ON it. I eventually went back to glasses for everything but riding primarily because I also need reading lenses and just can't handle one "long" contact lens and one "short" one. I haven't tried bifocal contacts yet but contacts make everything look smaller and closer to the ground for me.

Something else you might want to consider is that every eye doctor with whom I've spoken (and with my current problem, that number is six and counting) has told me that contacts will not give you consistently the best focus clarity because the lenses move around on your eye. For shooting and other vision-sensitive activities, I haven't found one doctor who recommends contacts over glasses.

Ed

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have the Bolle - Performance: Parole glasses (4 lens set) with the RX insert. My eye doctor stocks them as well as the insert. He can also grind the bifocal lens on the bottom of the insert for reading.I don't know where you live but here in Michigan Henry Ford Optimeyes the place to get them. Make sure it is a super center, meaning they grind the lenses right there.
    When my script changes, and it will, all I have to do is get a new insert.

JMHO...Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.