Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RX Prescription Shooting Glasses ???

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  IM390 
#1 ·
Just got back from my optometrist and have a new prescription. My question is since it gets expensive every time I have a change to replenish all my lens colors has anyone had experience with the new prescription inserts that I see a couple companies advertising. Are they for real or just a gimmick? I appreciate any and all feedback both good and bad. Thanks Mike.

#2 ·
I'll speak up again for the NYX glasses with the Sved Optics prescription insert, which I've been using for about 6 years. I used Decots for years before that. NYX has several different models, which are slightly different. They are all about $20 for the frame and $20 for each lens. My inserts are
about $170 for a prescription with bifocal. Sved Optics makes inserts for several other glasses as well.
NYX glasses are light, wrap-around, and the insert is close to the eye, so you don't need glasses that ride high on your face. Hidefspex has glasses that use an insert, as does Oakley. They all work fine,

#3 ·
I have a 3 lens set of the NYX glasses with the prescription insert and also have two sets of Randolph Ranger frames with 6 colors of separate prescription lenses. Of the two systems, I really prefer the Rangers, especially so for shooting trap. The lenses themselves sit higher on the face and the optical centers of the lenses (on mine made specifically for trap shooting) have been made higher in the lenses themselves. That is a big help as the clearest and best focused part of the lens is higher then the actual center.

Also, it is faster and easier to change the lenses in the Rangers than to change the insert when adjusting to light conditions when shooting SC. The Rangers sit further out from my face and do not fog up very easily when it is humid like the wrap-arounds. Also, since I do not need bifocals, when it is my turn to keep score when shooting sporting clays, the lenses are far enough from my face that I can easily see the clip board by looking down under them. For me, there is no comparison as I greatly prefer the Rangers.

If I was young and only shot sporting clays, I would buy the Oakleys or the NYX systems as that is the popular set-up; but if you are old and shoot trap, I think that you would be happier with the Randolph Rangers or the similar Descot glasses.

#7 ·
I recently got a set of Randolph XLW's with prescription inserts from Texas Shooters Optical (see website above). So far I really like them. My only complaint is the insert sits really close to your face, but I'm willing to put up with that for the price savings compared to lots of different colored rx lenses. These are the wrap around style, which some shooters don't like, but they work for me.

#8 ·
I have a better way to go. I use FITOVERS which just go over your regular glasses. Inspite of what some companies say, I have never experienced any distortion, etc while shooting. They come in many different sizes and color tints. They have tinted, built in blinders on them too, preventing side light coming in. They are polarized as well. Ask your optomatrist about that too. $50 at Cabalas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.