1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RX Lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to getting RX shooting lenses and find I am having difficulty with them. Had my Dr. check out the lenses and they were made correctly, but I can't see as well through them as with my regular glasses at distance, even though both sets check out the same as far as the RX goes. Feel a little dizzy, like they are too strong. Doc thought it was possibly because of the polycarbonate lense material and he told me some people have trouble with it. He thought I'd be able to get used to them if worn constantly, but understands that won't work in this case. (The Doc did not make the glasses)

I'm thinking maybe I should try another pair with less of a correction. I'm farsighted and see pretty well without glasses at target distance, just trying to get the best situation for me.

Anyone else experienced this?

2. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I had the same problem some years back.
    I had Decot make me new glasses, everything turned out great.

3. mt

mt Member

i had the same problem.... honestly ultimately i really did accommodate to them, and now they're totally comfortable and natural but it was a heck of a week.

4. mt

mt Member

i had the same problem.... honestly ultimately i really did accommodate to them, and now they're totally comfortable and natural but it was a heck of a week.

5. mt

mt Member

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Three things come to mind immediately<UL><li>polycarbonate (lexan) is a notoriously poor prescription lens material; it refracts and focuses light poorly. Trivex is far superior and weighs much less than either poly or CR-39<li>shooting glass lenses often sit further away from the eye than do the lenses of "street" glasses; this changes the effective focal point within the eye and alters the prescription<LI> even though the lens may be molded to the proper prescription, it may be that you are not looking through the "sweet spot" of the lens or that you may be that the lenses are at the wrong angle to your eyes.</UL>

Buying prescription lenses long-distance the first time is always risky.

MK

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Thanks, doesn't sound like many have had this problem?.

I guess all I can do is speak to the company making the lenses and see if they have any suggestions.

Since the lenses were made correctly to the RX, I don't see any point in just getting another pair made unless there is a change of some sort; and I don't think I'll get used to them as in MT's case since I don't wear them enough during the week.

Seems to me if they were weaker I might be able to see better since they are good within 20 feet or so, it is at the longer distances they give me trouble. Maybe a +.75 or .50 instead of +1.00.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the lenses were correct for your vision problem then when you put them on you would have good vision. Since you don't, I would tell the DR. they are unacceptable. HMB

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

HMB:

The problem as stated is that I have two pairs of glasses, same RX. Regular glasses are fine, shooting glasses aren't. Dr. can only tell me the RX is identical in both sets and correct for my eyes. He thinks the size and material in the shooting glasses is the issue, and suggested trying weaker lenses in those.

Before I spend more dollars on a crapshoot with more lenses, I'm just looking to see if others had to use a different RX for shooting glasses than their regular glasses. Doesn't sound like it so far.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Who DID make the new glasses? I've had excellent results from Decot in Arizona through the years. I DO, and recommend to others, put on the glasses on the way to the club and it DOES take a few minutes for the eyes to adjust to and settle down with the shooting glasses. Try leaving them on through the day, before and through all shooting. I often drive to the club with them, wear them through the day, and get home, unpack the gear and find I'm still wearing them entering the house......Bob Dodd

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Well known trapshooting glasses, not a case of the maker not understanding what's involved. I have no issue with the company that made them since my Doc has confirmed that they were made properly.

The problem seems to be I just have some issue with the lense material that most don't. Just thought I'd check here first, but doesn't seem to be very common.

12. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

I would advise you try Trivex.. It is a new material that is impact resistant and the quality of the vision through these lenses is outstanding.
    The office that made your Poly lenses will most likely swap for you at a minimum charge. Ours is a $35.00 upgrade, each color, and we recommend Trivex to every client we sell eyewear to.

If the doctor writes an Rx with less power, most remakes within 30 days are covered by the supplier of your glasses lab. I would strongly recommend the Trivex in this situation also.

Tom
    www.texasshootersoptical.com

13. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

I would advise you try Trivex.. It is a new material that is impact resistant and the quality of the vision through these lenses is outstanding.
    The office that made your Poly lenses will most likely swap for you at a minimum charge. Ours is a $35.00 upgrade, each color, and we recommend Trivex to every client we sell eyewear to.

If the doctor writes an Rx with less power, most remakes within 30 days are covered by the supplier of your glasses lab. I would strongly recommend the Trivex in this situation also.

Tom

14. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Tom

15. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Tom

16. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Tom

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

With my shooting glasses (bifocals) I've always had to have my PD measured.

You did not say if your PD was checked (if needed) to see if it was measured correctly...

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you put on a pair of perscription glasses your vision is supposed to improve. If your vision does not improve the perscription is wrong.

What is your persription? HMB

19. Willus

Willus TS Member

I had the same problem, have the DR. check the base curve. The base curve I can handle on my street glasses has to be the same on my shooting glasses, no problem.

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Joe: Yeah, had the PD measured twice.

HMB: had the RX and both sets of glasses checked out independently of each other. RX is correct, both sets of glasses are made to the RX, but quality of distance vision is not the same. RX is +1.0 at distance. Vision w/ shooting glasses is good out to maybe 20 feet, past that my regular glasses are better, actually with no glasses on seems better at distance than the shooting glasses.

Willus: Thanks, have not heard of base curve, I'll look into that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.