1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rx glasses?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yobyllib, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

hi all,
    so now I enter the ranks of the four eyed,and would like to purchase
    a pair of bonafide prescription shooting glasses,so who do ya`ll recommend?
    thanks a bunch
    BIlly

2. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

go to a local eye doctor, i just had some prescription lenses put a larger frame,pick a color that brings out the orange for you, and they work great , better than the 500 pair that came from one of the most recommended makers of shooting glasses, lets just say they didn't work for me and still am out my money

3. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

I am not saying go to your local walmart and have a pair of colored glasses made. As a person who has had very bad eyesight my whole life, pretty much can't see anything without glasses, i have not been unfamilar with shelling out $500 for a pair of glasses. With my particular prescription (lots of prism)after two trips back and forth from the shop, i still could not make the custom shooting glasses work for me, and you are right Bill, their customer service skills have eroded some. So i went to my local doctor, who between the two brothers probally have more years experience than most. Now i have a pair of shooting glasses that absolutey make the targets look brighter, and are working great for me. All this being said, i still think there a lots of great glasses out there for people with average prescriptions, like Bill pointed out, find someone, get a good script for you and have at it. I shot with a couple of different folks who had the ranger's made by Randolph, they seemed to really like them.

free "advice"
    Gale Johnson

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I have had several sets of Post 4 HD lenses made for me they work---they are bifocal---call Post 4 before you get your script, they will give you special info---I took my gun into my local optometrist once, with the bi-focals I could not see the mid-bead, it was totally out of focas, he reworked the lense formula for the mid-bead distance----Phil

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

What has worked best for me, was to get contacts (distance only). I use non RX Ranger XL's just change colors for conditions. I see the target better now than I have in several years. J.Woolsey

6. finger

finger TS Member

Not an easy question. I have worn glasses all my life. I have spent literally thousands of dollars over the years for prescription shooting glasses as my prescription was changing every year. Replacing six pairs of lenses every year was getting excessive. I had both Ranger and Decot frames and they work very well.

I then found the NYX system. It is a prescription insert behind replaceable tinted lenses. The "system" was about $150 and the prescription insert another $150. Work great and I am happy with them. But they provide little protection from a gun blow up.

I then purchased the hidefspec Panther system. Almost $900 with the prescription insert being $185 of that. I love the way their "tint" hilights the orange targets but they are really heavy on the face. I suspect the "new and improved" version is better but I have not tried them yet.

Since you are new to presctiption lenses I suggest you give the NYX system a look. If you can be satisfied with only one or two pair of lenses then the Ranger or Decot systems might be the most cost effective. HNY bob finger

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the new Ranger Sporter. It's a quality safety glass with available clip on tints.

I had to get a new prescription with pretty heavy correction plus progressive bifocal correction so I went with a clear poly lens with AR coating, 3 clip ons in yellow, vermilion, & the new CMT.

The great thing for me is that I can read fine print, have clear distant vision, & be able to change color to fit the conditions without ever taking off my base platform with the clear lens. When my prescription changes I will only have to replace the clear lens & leave everything as is.....hopefully.

They may not be what you need but with the correction that I had to have I am very pleased with them. Oh, I got them through Morgan Optical, dealt with Wayne who was very helpful, sent me two pair of frames to try first then I ordered what I wanted.

8. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Another vote for the Ranger Sporter. The frame is $112, which is cheaper than my "regular" frame. Put in a set of clear lenses for $90.00 and then add as many clip-ons in whatever color for $50.00 each. Three clip-ons should cover you nicely. I have medium yellow for under the lights, vermillion for most shooting, and bronze for very bright days. Mine are from Morgan also.

The good thing about Morgan is that they understand adjusting the IPD on the right eye for shotgun shooting. Just try to explain it to your regular optician or get advice on how much to move it.

9. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Contact Morgan Optical great people to work with. Mark R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.