1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RX Glasses question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I took a Nora Ross clinic this week and she took a picture of me looking down the barrel. head straight eyes level every thing OK.What i would like to know ,if i am looking through the upper left part of the lens and the Rx is in the center why not move the center to the the upper left? I'm a one eyed shooter.then everything should be in focus.I'm shure there is a reason why glasses are not made this way I just would like to know why.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Unless the person who makes your lenses has seen where you look thru the lens and marks that place as the optical center you'll end up with glasses where the optical center is in the physical center of the lens.

OTOH there should not be a lot of difference in how you see because the O.C. is not where you look. The correction is not just in the O.C. it's the entire lens.

Eric

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can instruct the person making your lens to place the optical center of the lens where you would like it to be. HMB

4. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Tracy,

I'm an optometrist for your reference. The prescription or power is through the entire lens. The optical center is set over your pupils in normal straight gaze. At the optical center there is no prism (unless prescribed), astigmatic or other distortions.

So how important is it to have the OC where you are looking? If your prescription is high, it may be important because you get more distortions in any part of the peripheral lens. If the Rx is weaker, then not so much as the distortions are less in the periphery. Bigger question. Do you see the target well? If you do, quit worrying and shoot the target.john

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Decot, and probably other manufacturers of shooting glasses automatically move the OC a little up and to the left unless you ask them not to do that.

Pat Ireland

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

hay tailbuster i have a -4.50 in contacts is that to bad to go to RX? they tell me local, that its to bad to make them right for shooting lens,thanks flip

7. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Flip,

4.50 is a moderate prescription. The real issue with most shooting glasses frames is that they are large. Lenses are sold (to optical's) in round blanks (typically less than 80 mm and then cut to fit the frame. Now if you move the OC away from center too much then the lens won't cut out (isn't big enough) for the frame, without leaving a big air space somewhere.

I'm not sure but suspect that many of the shooting glasses opticians either have access to larger lens blanks or are able to grind their own with the OC offset. If you can't get them at your local shop then try one of the usual guys that do this stuff routinely. I'm sure others can point you to them.

8. FLIP

FLIP Member

Thanks Tailbuster

9. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Thank you all for the info.I will ask Morgan about my glasses at the grand.Tailbuster what state are you in?

10. Gil

Gil Member

Tailbuster, What glasses do you use? George Miller

11. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

thanks Tailbuster, i am about to buy my first set of shooting glasses and I had a several questions about the OC (figuring that why decot/other lenses are so big) and about moving the bifocal part down. My local optometrist know little about them. I have to admit I dont like the big lenses and the big frames which is why I have been delaying getting shooting glasses. I dont want to look like these shooters...

[​IMG]

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not to worry, good shooting glasses do not have frames surrounding the lenses. HMB

13. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

I'm not a big fan of the "big" shooting glasses. I have a little head, with big ears. So, standard Hy-Wyd Decot's "make me look like a grasshopper". I like the Decot Revel's though. The fit/feel of them feel more like my Oakley half-jackets and Oakley Minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.