1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RX for Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gyrine, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I would really like to hear from Phil Kiner on this, or anyone else that can give some advise. I am 65 so the eyes are not what they used to be. I have worn progressive lenses for the last ten years. I don't have a huge correction but I need to wear glasses for everday activities. I am shooting without prescription glasses and know from Phil's DVD training that seeing the target is pretty much everything. I want to get a pair of shooting glasses with just distance RX maybe a reading bifocal on my non dominate eye, the right one. My question is where do I want to tell my Dr. where I want the fine point of focus, 40 yards or what? Thanks for your input. Rich Strickland, gyrine

2. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

Contact a shooting glass manufacturer ,after an eye exam, with your prescription, and they will handle the rest.
    I had similar concerns until I contacted Decot Hy-Wyd and they provided the correct glasses.
    Rich

3. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

My question is, what should I tell the guy that does the eye exam? Thanks, gyrine

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I went to my optometrist with my wishes, and she wrote a prescription for my shooting glasses.

For shotgunning, you need clear vision from the bead, to infinity. I requested that I have clear vision from 30" to infinity. That's what my glasses do. I do not use variable, or bifocal lenses in my glasses. They only confuse the view, and cause me to move my head. My shooting glasses are totally useless for anything but long-gun shooting. They do work through my rifle scopes. However, I can't see the sights on my pistols, so I do use my regular glasses for them.

You could also request help from the various on-line sources, but you'll still need to see your eye doctor to insure everything is as it should be.

Best,
    Dennis

PS - Can I assume you're former USMC? If so, thanks for your service.

From a grateful squid.

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Dennis, Thank you for your advise and kind words. You assume correctly. I spent some time on the LPH9 Guam, way back when, and I realize that we were "all in the Navy" something I am very proud of. Especially the Navy Corpmen who served with the Marines in most difficult circumstances and as a result are held in the highest regard by everyone who ever served the green machine. gyrine

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You need the distance vision for shooting a shotgun. Optometrists will tell you that beyond 20 feet is considered infinity but I got my RX for best vision at a distance further than 20 feet for my shooting glasses. Bifocals are only useful if you need them to read the program but are not used for the beads on your gun. Your bead may be blurred but you should be focusing on the target and ignore the bead.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dennis- I would love to have corrective glasses that would focus my vision from 30 inches to infinity (20 feet and more). I would also enjoy talking to any optometrist who claims that this can be done.

Try this. With your word processor, type four lines of random letters. Highlight the top line and change the font size to 30 (30 points). Make the second line 25, the third line 20 and the fourth line 15.

Put on your shooting glasses and hold the paper at arms length, then post it at 10 feet and then at 20 feet. See which lines are clear at these different distances. 20/20 vision means you can clearly see 20 point print at 20 feet.

This is certainly not a complete vision test, but it cal tell you if you need a vision test and how well your current glasses are working.

Pat Ireland

8. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just discussed this with Allen Lehman. You need to go to an eye Doc. and be sure your PD is correct. Allen, if you use him, can put distance in your lenses with a small bifocal on the bottom for close-up reading. It will not bother your distance vision for shooting. Lehmanoptical.net. Hope this helps, Roy

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I was told that you should have your distance vision corrected to "20/15" for shooting shotgun sports. This means you will be able to clearly see something at 20 feet that a "normal" person would only be able to see clearly at 15 feet. This has always worked for me and the eye doctors can relate to it.

One doctor told me that was too much correction and it would be cause difficulties. When I told him I intended to use the glasses only for shooting he then agreed to give me the prescription. Normally they only correct your vision to 20/20.

Jim Skeel

10. idoc

idoc Member

Rich,

You want to tell your Optometrist that you are a shooter and you want to be sure to maximize you distance RX. Do not use a progressive lens. If you are over 40 you will not be able to keep the barrel and infinity clear. I feel that is a good thing. Total concentration on the target is the key. Don't worry about the barrel, the brain knows what to do as long as the gun fits.

For our patients that are Shooters, we determine the distance Rx and then bring them outside and have them look 30 yards off and add a -.25 lens to that Rx (which we put in a trial frame). If the Rx is correct for the distance the -.25 will not make a difference. It may increase contrast a bit but will not increase acuity. If however, it makes a difference then you want to add that to their distance Rx. The question comes up on whether you should make your regular glasses in this Rx and that's not a simple answer but depends on the individual's needs. You Eye Care Proffessional will help you with that.

Optically, the Rx at 20' or 200' or 2 miles is the same. This technique takes it out of the exam room and into the real world just to make sure. I would say I change 10%, which I think is quite high. Hope this helps.................Rich

11. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

idoc, Thanks for the advise. I will print out your response and take it to my OD. I just want the Rx for shooting glasses. I will stick with my progressives for everyday wear. Rich

12. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Thank you Brother. I will send Decot my Rx as soon as I can get in to see my OD. Rich

Tanonni thanked this.
  13. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Might want to consider a bifocal it surprising how often I need them to put a small part or loose screw back in and Progessives will distort your site line.found this out trying to do finish work had to go back to bifocals Jon

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Gyrine,

I had a similar situation. In my callow youth I was blessed with 20/15 vision and Flight Training at Pensacola and elsewhere. Since then I have been blessed with too many birthdays and now wear progressive lenses for everyday use. When I took up trap shooting last year I contacted Steve (maltzie) at:

http://www.cleartargetoptics.com/malt

He fixed me up with a set of bificals and solved my shooting glasses problems. He is a trap shooter (big time) and understands the issues.

Try him. I think you will be pleased.

Semper fi,

HBT

15. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Marine, check your email, gyrine

16. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Gyrine,

Roger your last.

HBT

17. crackshot

crackshot Member

You can buy stick on magnifying lens from Grainger.com. They stick like the dots for blocking your dominate eye. They use them on goggle's in work shops. The 2.50 part no. is 2mu13...Dave

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Allen Lehman has been doing my glasses for 20 years, and I would not consider another optometrist.

Corrections or adjustments are always handled promptly and courteously.

HM

19. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

But I got to sit in the chair. Don't want to travel for that. I want to get a Rx from somebody who will listen to what I want, that being seeing the dots at 40 yards with 65 year old eyes. Then I will send off the presciption, probably to Dycot. I'm not hard to please. gyrine

20. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Trapshooterjoe7,

Try:

http://cleartargetoptics.com/form.html

Ask for Steve Maltzan.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rx shooting glasses for shotgun