1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RV sales tax

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sallyjane, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sallyjane

sallyjane TS Member

We are buying our first rv in a sales tax state, and are taking it to our home sales tax state, where we will pay. I have heard of registry and title being done in states where there is no tax. Could someone enlighten me on how to do that, or set it up. Thank you ahead for your input.

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Montana has no sales tax at all,RV included. I would call a dealer there & find out what the story is. I have heard of peple doing what you are thinking. I you don't get a good answer,e-mail me & I will sent you a couple of dealers to call.
    Tom Hanilton,Montana

3. ray119

ray119 TS Member

If you don't live in Montana you have to create a LLC, be carefull, sales tax states are cracking down and nailing buyers for tax evation..

Also, if your buying a new RV, manufacturers are going out of business because of lack of buyers, make sure you don't buy a orphan.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You owe the tax to your home state and it's collected in the registration process. Any non-tax state should be ready to make the arrangements for your proper registration and fees are collected from you and sent to your home state DMV; been there, done it, and enforced it in the past....Bob Dodd

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You can have registered in Nevada and as long as you keep it out of your home state for 6 months, you may avoid the sales tax. Talk to a savvy RV dealer.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

That's true or at least used to be in CA when buying in Oregon. You could register in the state where you purchased, wait 6 months before bringing the RV into CA, and then simply apply for registration in CA without any tax. I don't know that has changed in the last 20 years or so, however - well except that Oregon insists on "proof" that you live in their state or they won't do the initial OR registration for you.....Bob Dodd

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just pay the tax and sleep well knowing you obeyed the laws. Honsety has and always will be the best way to go

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There is nothing dishonest about using a tax loophole.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It may not be dishonest but the result of some who did the Oregon/California dance not only ended up paying dearly in registration, taxes from time of purchase, penalties that may have doubled their tax on a $500 thousand motorhome when caught but then got to spend some serious time in court and, at a minimum, serve some time behind bars and providing months of community service. The process can be done legally, call it a loophole if you want, but the threat of getting caught is real if not done by the book. The only safe way is to establish an address in the non-tax state and do NOT bring the vehicle into your true home state for the 6 months or whatever may be permitted by your home state.....Bob Dodd

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Mr brooks are you suggesting that defrauding a state is ok. Is that moral. Would you like more loopholes on the ATA rule book to allow you to win more shoots? Joe goldberg

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Some of you chastising others for using lawful tax loopholes to reduce their taxes (no one is obligated to pay more taxes than they legally have to) remind me of the parable of the monkeys:<br>
    <br>
    Start with a cage containing five monkeys.<br>
    <br>
    Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string, and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray that monkey and all of the other monkeys with cold water.<br>
    <br>
    After a while, another monkey makes an attempt, with the same result- all the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will attack that monkey in order to prevent it.<br>
    <br>
    Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage, and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.<br>
    <br>
    Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs, and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!<br>
    <br>
    Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, it is attacked.<br>
    <br>
    Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, nor why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.<br>
    <br>
    After replacing all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys has ever been sprayed with cold water, nor do they know why they behave that way. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know, that's the way it's always been done around here.

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Sally, you can always buy out of state but your taxes must be paid in the state of your permanent address. If there is a loophole it will be closed and I wouldn't recommend that you "Monkey with the tax laws." I have little respect for those that do this and in the case of Wesley Snipes to hell with him and his not wanting to be a part of the plan in America. When something comes on TV that he's in I change the channel and I won't go watch whatever he's making for movies now. He made his choice and now must pay the price. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.