1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rusty New S&W

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coveybuster, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Bought a new S&W Model 60LS from my favorite local area dealer last week. Pulled the rosewood grip panels off and to my horror, I find rust. I got out the 0000 steel wool & oil and smoothed it out, but the metal is still discolored. I sprayed it down with Barricade and put on a set of Pachmayr Compac grips. Anyone had a similar experience with rust on a brand new gun?
    coveybuster_2009_151255.jpg

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That well and truly sucks.

Stainless steel is NOT rustproof. It is rust resistant. But even so, this should not ever happen on a new handgun.

Were the backsides of the Rosewood grips sealed or bare wood?

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Smith & Wesson - quality concerns with their current products are legendary on the S&W Forum. Canted barrels, the current two-piece barrels not shooting to the point of aim and fit/finish complaints abound. Then there's the internal lock...

But there are two kinds of stainless steel, referred to as 300 grade stainless and 400 grade. One is "pure" stainless while the other has some carbon in it, making it stronger and more suited for firearms. The carbon content is what allows it to rust. Pure stainless is not magnetic but if you hold a magnet against your stainless steel guns, you'll find that they are.

Ed

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me. Sent it back to Smith and they fixed it pronto.

GneJ

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I think your first mistake was not taking it back to the dealer Pronto. He would have bit**ed that it wasn't his fault. But if he's a stand-up dealer, he'd have sent it back to S&W for you.

Your second mistake was trying to fix it yourself. Now, if you send it to S&W direct they can potentially say your action voided the warranty.

Your dealer and S&W should have been given the 'opportunity' to fix it first.

I'd send it back now and BEG S&W to fix it. You could try your dealer first, but don't expect much unless he's your brother.

Gene in Illinois

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Never had it happen but is it really a problem? You put a set of rubber grips over the pitted area so it won't be seen and it is nothing that will effect functioning.

I don't think you bought the gun to be a show piece anyway.

My guess is it was a result of salt residue from the hand of someone doing assembly and it didn't get wiped off. Stuff happens.

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Gene,

I am so fortunate to have you chronicle my mistakes. Thank you.

Wolfram has it right. It is not a big deal. I don't have a gun in my possession that doesn't have something wrong with it. A scratch here, holster wear there, they all have their little problems. They are shooters.

If it were your gun you could go boo-hoo to the dealer, S&W, & Otis the town drunk. I fixed the gun to my satisfaction. Problem solved.

This is an anomalous event. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I wasn't asking for advice on "what to do".

I am so glad you were here to point out the grievous errors of my ways. I will try to do better next time.

Marty

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you send it back, S&W will correct it N.C. They will also
    pay the next day air charges both ways.

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

coveybuster , If you ever decide to sell you will wish you had contacted S&W.
    That should not happen with a stainless Smith.

10. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

If I'd only owned it a few weeks, I'd still send it back. I bet they'd replace it. Go to their website and you'll learn they'll pay shipping both ways.

I had one last year that spit lead at the cylinder gap. Eventually, I determined that, regardless of ammo brand, some bullets were tipping at 30 feet. I discussed it with the dealer who volunteered to get involved. It wasn't necessary since there would be no shipping charge in any case, but he pointed out that the gun had to return to the address it was sent from. There would always be someone at the store to sign for it, whereas I might not always be home.

I fully expected them to repair it without hesitation (fit and time a new cylinder?) but was surprised when they said they'd give me a new gun. And they did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.