1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rusty chamber

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I noticed my single barrel trap has a little ( very slight) amount of rust in the chamber area. It also causes the shell to not eject crisply. What is the best way to remove the rust or polish it per say

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Fine steel wool wrapped around a 10 gauge copper bore brush, and a drill. Run it back and forth with some light oil, like a brake hone.

3. cubancigar2000

Thx Tim, exactly what I was thinking, just got to go buy a 10 ga brush

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Steel wool wrapped around a bore mop soaked in something like CLP or Barricade works really well!

Keller

5. cubancigar2000

I tried about everything and this is a tip that I was given by a friend. I bought a box of Chore Boy scrub pads made of copper. I cut one to fit and wrapped it around a 12 ga bore brush and inserted it into my cordless drill, then followed up with a chamber brush wrapped the same way ( the bore brush just doesnt get deep enough & I did not have an ext rod). Then I followed up with fine steel wool and the chamber is spanking new

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If I used plastic shells my BT99 the chamber almost rusted before your eyes.

Federal papers, not so bad or not at all.

I used a 10 ga. bore brush I bought at the Grand and some Rig between shoots, worked well.

Regards.....Gerald

7. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

My Superposed is similar to OTH's 99....all my other guns don't know the differance.

8. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

A 20 MM brush in a drill is ideal for a 12 Ga. chamber.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Once you have it scrubbed clean, consider using a bore mop or at least a Fed. Paper shell, well oiled, when you put it away after shooting. Prevents a bit of rust. If you use Fed papers, consider painting the heads bright red to keep the safety guru's at bay.

Big Jack

10. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

Get a wooly snap cap and put rem oil on it...put your bar. away like that......it really works good.

11. cubancigar2000

I normally do use a very well oiled paper shell but one time I did not and bingo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.