1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Rusty and corroded reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Haase66, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haase66

Haase66 TS Member

I have a PW reloader that a friend left outside after they stopped reloading. Just wondering if anybody on here knows maybe a good way of removing this rust? The reloader is completely seized and won't budge. From looking at the reloader I think it will need to be submerged.
  2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What model is it? It may not be worth the effort, unless you are into that kind of project. Most old PWs are only worth a couple hundred dollars in good shape. Mark
  3. Haase66

Haase66 TS Member

In not looking to sell it. Just think if I can fix it for cheap and use it as a second loader to tinker with loads and what not. It's a sizeomatic 800b.
  4. fishkiller

fishkiller TS Member

soak it down with PB Blaster. this stuff will eventually work its way thru all of the bushings.then polish with 0000 steel wool and more blaster. I have had good luck rescuing items that looked ready for the scrap bin this way.
  5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Beat it apart with a hammer, soak all the parts in evaporust, reassemble.
  6. dale58

dale58 Member

Ship it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you. It might be hazardous material by now. :) Dale
  7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

skeet man,

Tell me more about this evaporust please.
  8. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Kroil Oil to get it moving. Navel Jelly to get the rust off. Both are inexpensive and easy to use.
  9. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

The posts might not be too expensive to just replace if you clean them and it still doesnt work

Gene
  10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I second KROIL to free it up !
  11. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

+2 for Kroil, awesome stuff!
  12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Evaporust is literally liquid magic. Completely cleaned a rusted up MEC Grabber with it. It will remove any factory bluing/black oxide, so you may need to have the parts redipped by someone who does bluing if you can't live with the bare metal finish (then again, if the parts were rusted bad enough for evaporust to be a consideration, the factory finish isn't in great condition anyways LOL).

You could spend days and days trying to clean rust off with steel wool, brushes, ect, and still not get all of it. Put the parts in evaporust overnight, and its like it was never there.

Also a GREAT way to remove bluing from a firearm before you reblue it.

I'm still using my original quart bottle. If you lose some of it (spill it, it evaporates, ect), you simply top the bottle off with tap water and keep on trucking. It will get a little slower with time as it absorbs rust into the solution, but still fast enough to take care of just about anything overnight.
  13. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Have recently seen Metal Rescue advertised, does anyone have experience with this product? It appears to be similar to Evapo Rust.
    Gary
  14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

You may need to use #400 sand paper cut into 1"inc strips and polish all the shaft that is exposed. and soak the bushings w/any thin oil, then when the press is bolted down to the table, work the handle, back and forth add oil w/each movement, when the table goes all the up sand the lower portion of the shafts and the polish w/fine steel wool. Th groove in the shaft where the wad flips in and out use a small screw driver with a rag on the tip dipped in oil until you get it clean. Then dis-assemble and clean all the shell holders

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Member

A cheap way to loosen rusted parts is to submerge the article in diesel oil for a day or two, then take it out, dry it off, and clean the visible rust off with whatever is required (ie: scraper, sandpaper, emery cloth, crocus cloth, etc.). Once the visible rust is gone start trying to move the bound up parts. Judicious applications of Breakfree, or some other release agent may help, as well.
  16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

A bead blaster with 40u glass beads will do an amazing job.

best...mike
  17. jimsw

jimsw TS Member

If it is an old PW single stage loader clean it up. They are excellent loaders. I have one I use for Federal papers. I get beautiful crimps, slow yes but I'm not in a rush.
  18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A 12v battery charger.

A 5 gal plastic bucket.

Arm and Hammer washing(not baking) soda.

Romex cable.

2 pieces of re-rod

1 gal water to 1 Tbls soda.

Connect neg to part positive to re-rod.

Immerse both into fluid .

Turn charger on low let sit for a day.
  19. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have three older PW reloaders and have never paid more than a couple hundred dollars for them. They all were in good working condition and some had extra tool sets and bushings. It's like finding an old rusty gun, that has been left outside and doesn't work. You have to decide if it is worth fixing, and if you have to invest money in parts, labor, etc., whether it is worth the effort, both in time and financially, when you get done. Some people just like tinkering with old rusty stuff. Ponsness doesn't support the old 800b with parts anymore, so I would check about that first before investing a lot of time and derusto. Mark
  20. quartering

quartering Active Member

bingo! you just hit the nail on the head. once upon a time i cleaned up a free pacific 366 to look and work like new. it only took $2 worth of kerosene and about $500 worth of my time. good luck with it. btw, although i seldom use it, i'll never sell it. but i'll never do it again
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.