1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rusted Guns carry case

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by neophyte, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

I just purchased an excellent soft-sided (but durable) silicone-treated gun case at Cabela's for $12.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005784220674a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=shotgun+sleeve&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=shotgun+sleeve&noImage=0

While I wish it had a carrying strap, it seems perfect in every other way for transporting and storing my 391 in the highly-variable climate here in Villanova (PA). Sounds like it might be a great choice for you to consider.

Cheers.

jdb

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to get RIG? One of my older shooting buddies made a sheep's wool pad with RIG on it that I have used for several years and it is still working well. I would like to make a couple more for friends.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

3. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

Don't know about RIG, Mike. Is it a protectant or water repellant of some sort?

I would think a sheep pelt would make a great case -- and wouldn't the natural lanolin on the pile be a sufficient barrier for moisture?

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I live in Florida and have no problems. Condensation is what to watch for. Like it was said above, high humidity and wide temperature swings will give problems. I shoot rain or shine. The guns are cleaned after each session (at home) with a bore snake that has some oil (break free actually) on it and then wiped down with a silicon rag. I leave them out of the safe overnight to let them dry throughly and put them away the next morning. Do not leave the guns in an enclosed case. The material of most cases will attract and hold water. Bring the cases in at night as well and let them dry open in the air conditioned room.

Have fun while you are here and spend a bunch - our economy can use the boost!

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought several gun socks/silicone pull over. The ones for small 22 riffles fit barrels well. I also toss several of the silica pacs found in new shoes and electronic packages into the gun case.

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Dry those silica pacs in an oven at 110 degrees for a few hours and store them in a zip lock until you use them. They absorb moisture rather quickly and you want them to start out dry.

7. setter

setter Member

RIG, Brownells has it as well.

8. setter

setter Member

And the RiG Rag.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I forgot about these.....my wife got me several of these for Xmas. They are in my safe.

10. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I.ve travelled to Africa many times and I spray the liner of the gun case with G96 gun treatment,never a problem.Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.