1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rusted brake lines 1999 chevy pick up

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SPACE GUN, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

My daughter was coming home from work last thrusday, when she exited the freeway she hit her brakes and they went to the floor! Luckily she had slowed to a crawl due to traffic and no one was hurt. The chances of both front and rear lines letting go at the same time is very rare to say the least! My brother has a 1999 truck just like my daughters and he had the same thing happen. I believe there is some kind of problem with defective materals in the brake lines. My daughter has checked on some web sites and found over 500 reports of this happening, she called GM and they claim they have only recieved 100 complaints and see no reason for a recall at this time.
    My daughter then call the national highway safety department, at first they seemed to try and blow her off, (she will not be blown off) so at last report they are to pick the truck up and work with GM to see if there is a real problem.
    Has anyone on this site ever had anything like this happen to them or someone they know?
    We are truly concerned that someone will or maybe already has been hurt or killed because of this. I believe this could affect 1999 thru 2003 or 2004.
    Thanks in advance for any imput and please pass the word to owners of these chevy pick up's and advalanges

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have a 2004 2500HD Silverado. I hit the breaks to avoid hitting a car that cut me off and the breaks went to the floor. All the break lines were rusted paper thin.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Why they don't make brake lines out of stainless or at least coat them with something is beyond me.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If you live in the rust belt, it will happen.

I had several GM cars that the main line on the drivers side rusted out, usually, about the center of the front door, right where one of the retainer clips was.

The coated lines seem to hold up better, but Stainless would be the answer.

Regards....Gerald

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

I had to replace the lines on all 4 wheels on my 97 Ranger last fall. It only has 85K on it and is rarely driven in the winter but they salt the living $hit out of the roads here from Oct to March.

ctreay

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

OtH- Thats right where they rusted on my 98 Lesabre. Luckily it was just the drivers side front that broke, and was quite easy to replace. Car was rear ended and totaled before I had any more brake line problems.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

It aint just GM products.

I replaced ALL the brake lines on my 1994 F-150 after the SECOND brake line failure in a three month period. By pure luck neither event happened while I was in traffic. A couple of minutes one way or the other and both would have resulted in collisions.

sissy

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If your state or county is using the infamous "de-icer" it Loves aluminum and steel.

We fought a losing battle here to stop the use of it, but the liberals in Olympia stuck it under "Public Safety" in order to protect its purchase by the DOT.

9. oz

oz Active Member

car dealers make more money fixing their junk than selling them. brake likes probably are made in china. Don't be suprised when the rest of the truck rusts out.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Not suprised in the least. It's too old, they are gonna go. Visual inspection would have told her this. I'm sure they were rotted.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read any of the post.

In the past I have had the same thing happen with cars and trucks. Go look at the lines and see where they are. Mine was at times on the frame where all dirt collects. Once wet the rust started on the line. Get them up and free of being covered with dirt.

Second, old brake fluid is very carosive(sp). In time the old brake fluid will eat through the line. Every 6 months I will flush the lines of old brake fluid so I have new fluid. It does help but you still have to watch the lines.

If you live in an area that has snow and salt on the roads you have to wash the car and wash under the car to get the salt off everything. I know where there is a stream that the road has to ford. Its great to clean under the car. I go throught it after a heavy rain that washes all the road salt off the road. I will go through the stream about 6 times. 3 trips. It does a better job then the car wash.

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If one goes, the others are right behind. I would get this car up on a hoist asap and look it over really good. Replacing brake lines is easy, but time consuming.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Never had that problem with a car made in Korea, assembled in Mississippi, with a transmission from Japan. Are cars made in the USA built to fail? HMB

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Give it time hmb.

Guy B.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The car at 13 years old needs to be inspected under neath on a regular basis. Rust is the constant enemy of automobiles and as the car reaches 10 years plus it becomes an issue that needs attention more often. I've replaced lost of rusted brake lines some after a brake failure and some before. My experience is that rust is a bigger problem with vans and pick ups then cars not sure why.

16. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Between my two brothers and I we have a 1957,1966,1969,1971,1972,1979,and 1985 all chevy's and all but one driven as everyday cars at one time. None of them have every had a brake line rust out! Some have had the rubber hoses dry rot and crack. I have always checked the brake lines on this truck I have good vision but not X ray vision! (my father was a brake mechanic for 35 years and he has never seen this problem). My daughter has been in contact with the national highway safety department and they told her that 1999 thru 2003 chevy trucks have had a higher rate of reported rusted out brake lines than normal. The safety department and a general motors rep are coming out next week to check it out and try to get to the bottom of the problem.
    Stainless steel should be required PERIOD this is a safety issue. The cost for stainless today is about $100.00 over coated steel, in 1999 it was probably $50.00 or less.
    I understand metal rust, I know sometimes poor routing etc can cause problems, but NO WAY should both front and back brake lines should ever fail at the same time!

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It doesn't happen in Arizona.

I live in wisconsin. I have a nice E350 in the yard with the lines gone. Replaced one segment last year and it blew in anothe place.

Car washes with underflush help if you use them.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.