1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trackerdan, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

Hello, What would you recommend as the best product to control or arrest the development of rust on your firearm?

Thanks,

Dan

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Cosmoline.

3. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

LOL! And still be able to shoot your firearm from time to time.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan- A good answer to your question depends a lot on where you live. how you store your guns and how often they are used. RIG is a great product that is designed for long term storage.

Guns that are in New Mexico face fewer rust problem than seen in Savannah Georgia. Guns used to hunt ducks in Arkansas are not as subject to rusting as guns used to hunt salt water ducks. If you keep your guns in a basement, I would get a large jar of RIG and wipe the guns frequently. If you keep your guns in a dry attic, just about any light coating of any oil will work. To the dismay of many, WD-40 did test as a very good rust inhibitor.

The fundamental problem is that gun metals will lose electrons to ions like H+ (water) and Na+ (salt) and this will cause rust. Keeping water, including water vapor and salt away from the metal will prevent rust.

Pat Ireland

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I second the Golden Rod in the safe - it keeps the inside temperature a few degrees above the ambient temperature so moisture cannot precipitate on the metal.

For general rust prevention you might wish to check this Brownell's site out...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=2&i=503

If you have surface rust you wish to remove the age old approach is perhaps best - use VERY fine steel wool, LOTS of oil, and NO pressure - gently rub the area - it will take time, but the steel wool will knock off the rust, and if you use no pressure it will not harm the bluing. When done you can clean the area and 'spot blue' if needed.

David D

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'd like to add to Pat's list that blood and colas will get rust going with alarming speed. My upper forearms suffer from thin skin, quick bruising, often bleeding if abused and I've marked break open guns with a hint of blood often by carrying them over the forearm. I also add myself to the list of those with hot rods in the safe but also use a cheap moisture collecting device called Dri-Z-Air which sits in the bottom of the safe - of course WD-40 as a surface wipe still prevails at my igloo....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

good advice Pat - RIG is the best I have ever encountered. I use it even for short term storage, wipes off very easily

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

BullFrog's Rusthunter is the best I've found! Very thin coating lasts for a long, long, very long time! Does not need to be removed prior to shooting!

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

For rust spots I use a bore cleaner, like Hoppe's, and a bronze brush. Scrub repeatedly till the rust is killed. Won't hurt the blueing. I would hesitate to use steel wool.

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I live and shoot in the south: heat, humidity and sweat! I have been very, very satisfiesd with Eezox. I like to wipe the gun when it is still hot or warm (right after shooting) and let the Eezox dry. It has worked very well. When I clean the inside of the barrels, my final treatment is Eezox - let it dry over night and run a dry patch down the barrel and wipe the chambers very well. I have found this treatment reduces plastic buildup and makes what little plastic that does build up easier to remove.

http://www.eezox.com/

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

everyone seems to have a better idea but wd 40 is the answer.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have used RIG grease for quite some time. Never had any rust on the RIG treated guns. Can't say the same for other treatments. I don't like WD-40 all that much. Maybe it's the odor. It's more a matter of personal choice, but I have never seen anything work better than RIG grease for rust prevention. For cleaning, I use Kerosene or Breakfree spray on metallic parts.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have real good luck with a product called Inhibitor V80. It keeps my acidic sweat from rusting my guns, and that is saying something.

ec90t

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Actually, I've had very good results by wiping gun down with a patch that has been treated with a little Krieghoff Oil..not the grease. Years ago, I found that silcone clothes gave problems; my guess is that the silcone may have entraped water molecules against the metal.

I also think that it is very important to let the gun's temperature "normalize" indoors, that is, when brought in from a hot or cold outside,let the gun breathe and come up to the present room temperature before putting gun away. This way, there is a chance for one to wipe of any condensation. Be careful with your gun if it is cool compared to the outside; moisture will precipitate upon it.

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

My vote is for RIG also. As to using steel wool you must use only 0000 and plenty of oil and very little if any pressure when trying to remove rust from blued steel. Let's face it blue, is actually a form of rust, you can remove the red rust but the microscopic pits will still be there. Much easier to prevent than to correct. I use the golden rods and also the Remington brand of dessicate that has the built in heater to dry/recharge in both of my safes along with the Rig on the firearms not used too often. Sort of like someone that wears a belt with suspenders I guess. Bill

16. atashooter

atashooter Member

1964 Model 1200 Trap in the safe that has had nothing but wipe downs of 3n1 oil that has Never seen rust.