1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RUST!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootertoo, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

I'm having problems with my CG choke tubes and the inside of the barrel rusting almost over night. I use choke tube lube on the threads that are at the end of the barrel but should I lube the entire tube? I shot Brownings for years and would clean the choke tubes once a month or so with no problems but the choke tube threads were on the bottom of the tube. I'd appreciate any help you guys might share.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I always run a patch with Rem Oil sprayed on it thru my barrel when I'm done cleaning the gun. It leaves a light film of oil in the barrel. Never had rusty barrels or chambers on any of my guns.

3. WJN

WJN TS Member

Is this issue just between the choke tube and barrel or is it also in the barrel? After cleaning I put a fine line of grease from the threads to the end of the choke. I then turn it between my fingers until there is a fine coat of grease over the whole choke tube that contacts the barrel. You don't want to over do it but haven't had any issues to date.

Jim

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I coat my CG tubes with a line of oil the length of the tube and rub it around the tubes before I put it back in the barrel. I also clean the inside of the barrel where the choke tube goes.

I clean my CG at least every other week or the equivalent of 2 days of shooting (sundays only)with a practice days in between.

5. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Yes, the issue with rust is between the choke tube and barrel. everything else is fine. Thanks!

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Coat the choke tubes with a thin coat of Break Free before you put them in. Briley recommended to do that on mine. Works very well.

Ajax

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Run the oily patch thru the barrel before installing your choke. Then oil the outside of the choke down, threads and all, before installing or do not store the gun with the choke installed.

8. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Thanks everyone for your advise! I still have to wonder if the threads being on the end of the barrel may not be the best idea. I never had this problem with Browning which threads were at the bottom.

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Never had any issues with choke tubes rusting, but the chambers on my Super Broadway will rust on the way home!!!!!!!

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have a 3 gauge CG gun. I just wipe down the entire choke tube and put them back in the gun till the threads bottom out. Not tight!

Just before I shoot, I hand tighten the tubes.

If you have CG choke tubes and you store your gun for few weeks, make sure there is plenty of oil on them!

If I had a CG trap gun, I'd store the tubes in oil, and order replacements from Briley.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I use anti-seize choke tube grease, mixed with some thin gun grease. Rub it on the whole choke, wipe off the excess.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shoot several Browning trap guns. Most age back back to the time when supposedly the chambers rusted before you got back home from the club. I never found this to be true. Much of what is said above is "gun cleaning and mostly prep. 101". Why would anyone put in a choke tube not knowing it needs protection.

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The reason they do not put the threads at the bottom of the choke tube is that leaves the top of the tube unsupported (there is clearance between the tube and the barrel). With the threads at the bottom the whole tube is cantilevered off of the bottom end. The tube is free to vibrate and this can cause the tube to tighten itself.

With the threads at the top the tube it is supported at both ends.

Caesar Guerini knows good gun design - I am not sure about Browning.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Dave P, You are a smart ass! I have always put lube on the threads of choke tubes but have never needed to lube the entire tube to prevent rust in my Brownings. Now with the information I've received from other CG owners I'll be lubing the entire tube. (No help from you)

15. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Thanks for the information Jim. I'm very pleased with my Guerini but I can assure you all the Brownings I've owned were fine guns. I shot a BT99 Plus for 20 years and shot it a bunch with no problems. Broke several 100's with it. Wondering now why I sold it!

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The best lube I have found is CMD some dealers have it, Kolar sells and 8 Ounce tube for $8.00.

I am in need of another tube myself.

I mis-laid my almost enpty tube somewhere it me be in the trunk of my car under some shells.

I always lubed the full length of the tube any and all tubes in all mfgrs. of guns. ALWAYS LUBE THE FULL LENGTH no problems then.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Thanks Mr.Bryant, I will also now.