1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rust

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shubble72, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

I have a kreighoff ks-5 that gets rust on it on the barrels where it lock to the receiver. How is that happening and what will take it off. I had alamo go thru it at the grand and he got the rust off but i cant with solvent. I store it in the americase in a vci sleeve.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

shubble72- Something is getting on your barrel that will promote oxidation. It could be acid from your hand or it could be moisture condensing when your gun is stored. Don't store your gun in a sealed case and the problem might go away. Wiping the gun down with a slightly oily rag before putting it in the case could help. It is even possible, but not too likely, that something has been spilled in your gun case or storage sleeve that needs to be cleaned out.

Removing the rust is simple but if you have to do it frequently, you will also remove the bluing. Light rust can be removed by scrubbing with an oiled rag. Heavier rust requires oil and very fine steel wool. Very deep rust requires polishing the barrel and removing all of the bluing.

I suggest that you wipe the gun down with a little oil before you put it in the case and then open the case when you get home. The kind of oil you use is not real important. Anything from a spray on oil to motor oil will work fine.

Pat Ireland

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

Clean it with a good oil that stays on the gun before you pack it away after shooting.

Let it cool before you close it in your case and clean it.

I use the small metal desiccants 40 gram ~ 4" x 2 1/2" in my cases. You put them in a toaster oven to reactivate. In this weather I have put 2 in a case and had them "go pink" in 24 hours. ie. buy several of them so you can rotate them in your case. Put them in Ziploc bags after activated so you have a couple ready to go.

examples
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gun-Safe-Dehumidifier-Rechargeable-Desiccant-/180387087876

http://www.coinsupplystore.com/site/1648271/page/785944

JT

4. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

pencil eraser dont remove it, any other ideas

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Flitz... is supposed to remove rust and unaffect factory blueing...

Jay

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Try an abrasive bar from a golf supply store used to buff irons . Similar to an eraser . Worked for a guy in our club

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

You might consider not storing it in the case.

8. JN618

JN618 TS Member

Fluid Film is a pretty good protectant. It's lanolin based and should not evaporate.
    John

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Take a look at how the barrels sit in the Americase. If the rusty area is touching the foam? in that part of the case, oil the foam at that spot. I do that so I don't have to lube the receiver hinge joint. Good luck.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shubble: There has to be a reason out of the ordinary that's causing this. Do you have other guns stored in the same area? Are they too getting rusted? I bought a Cit. Plus years ago instead of a P-Gun from a friend and he cailmed the same thing would happen. The chamber got golden but it was from the brass-at that time. I've gone a few weeks without cleaning it and nothing bad happens

11. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

yes i do have a browning in the case in the same area with no rust.