1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust removal ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xtand 99, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

I have an Sc3 with very nice scroll engraving that must have gotten wet and then stored for two weeks---and it has very light rust in the engraving---
    how is the best way to get it out and protect it in the future---Thanks Norbert

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

0000 steel wool & WD-40 then keep it oiled

Oscar

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

(Stainless) steel wool won't hurt blue, but I would recommend Flitz gun polish before you do anything else. It can be bought at most gun stores or online and won't damage bluing.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Brass brush with BreakFree CLP will clean up surface rust in the engravings well.

Then clean the coper color away with toothbrush.

Keep a thin coat of BreakFree CLP on it.

5. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

Thanks for the kind words of help---Norbert

6. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I do not have an answer for the rust removal. But to prevent rust and have the gun looking great use BLACK MAGIC the waterless version. It is a heavy silicone sold for use on car tires and black plastic. I have been using it for years and it works great! Keep a rag wedded with it in a plastic ziplock bag in your gun case to wipe the gun down with before you put it in the case. This stuff really stays on the metal. Try it you will love it!

7. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Get a product called Big 45 Frontier. Better yet go to there web site "Big 45 Frontier or Frontier 45". This product will not harm blued surfaces. You will not be disappointed. How ever you may be disappointed if you use steal wool. If your interested I have a extra Frontier 45 still in the bag I could send you for $6.00.

8. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

THERES only 1 way stuff is called never dull an wd 40 will not hurt blue never just did a buddy beretta had crust rust on barrel came rite off try it

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

#OOOO Steel wool will dull the finish of most guns. A thin layer of Motor Oil over the whole surface will protect any gun from rust. I'd try the Flitz polish and go from there. Let the Motor oil lay on the rust for 2 weeks (days) and just try removing the oil with a rag and see how much much rust comes off. If it removes 1/3 to l/2 try the oil again a few more times if need be. You can always oil down the OOOO steel wool pads after the oil has soaked into the rust well as a last resort. For Metal to rust it needs "Air", the oil will keep the air off the metal and soften the rust to some degree. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with a couple of the above suggestions using 0000 brass - not steel - wool and WD40 or Break-Free CLP. Also, Flitz aapplied carefully using a rough cloth, like the inside of a sock helps polish. Bottom Line: use LIGHT elbow grease whenever any medium touches the surface of your nice SC3! Best Regards, Ed

11. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

Thank all of you for your thoughts---I should have stated early on that this gun is not blued---it is just the bare metal finish---and I will give some or all of these a try----Thanks Norbert

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"A thin layer of Motor Oil over the whole surface will protect any gun from rust."</I></blockquote>I can show you a dozen engines from high quality machinery that will prove beyond a doubt that THAT JUST AIN'T ALWAYS TRUE.

Keller

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Keller, Show me how rust can form without air??? break em all Jeff

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Keller, you are changing the subject, it's guns not engines. You are likely introducing a different scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.