1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RUST PROBLEM..HELP!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Rust on the barrel end of two of my rifles. No idea how that happened but it is a first for me.

What is the best way to remove rust without reblueing?

Thanks in advance...

milt

2. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

A good oil and 000/0000 steel wool, but if it has rusted it may have already eaten away the blueing underneath the rust itself. Cleaning it up is the only way to tell

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Steel wool on a blued surface can remove a protion, if not all of the bluing. This is part of the process for creating a "French Grey" finish.

I would try a softer substance like one of those plastic kitchen scouring pads with oil or a solvent. I used it on some fiberglass I got on the frame of my Kolar and it removed it without any effect on the bluing.

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

oil and a flat piece of aluminum foil with very very lite pressure. I have used this method but you have to be real careful, but it does work.

thanks
    lee

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I worked over an old Stevens slide gun for my neighbor here a little while back. It had some mild rusting, but no pitting, pretty much all over from improper care.

I tried something different than the 4ot steel wool and oil. I read on here a while back about someone using Flitz to clean up an ole gun. Let me tell you it works a lot better than steel wool and oil. Not only did it remove the rust, but it put a nice luster on the whole gun. There were none of those fine scatches in the bluing when finished.

I just rubbed the Flitz in with my fingers and buffed off with a soft rag. It also leaves a protective film on the metal to help protect against further rust. I wish I had taken some before and after photo's because it was amazing.

BTW, It won't remove the bluing or any other surface treatment, unless the rust has already eaten completely through.

ss

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

bore solvent and a brass brush

7. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Listen to them on the use of Flitz, it works.

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

FLITZ...Which version?

Chrome/stainless, polish or liquid?

Does any TS.com advertisers carry it?

Thanks again!

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Any motorcycle shop should have it, I've only seen it one way, in a tube like toothpaste.

10. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Flitz just order off internet do not usr steel wool FLITZ

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

put a thick portion of CLENZOIL on the area- let sit for 2 days then repeat. this is thick oil so lay the gun down! - ive never used that flitz

12. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I read a long time ago, in one of the gun mags, may have been Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton or even Frank Little, that if you scrape the rust with a copper penny, it will remove the rust and leave a copper coating that will help protect the steel from further rusting. I have tried it and it works. The idea is that the copper is harder than the rust but softer than the steel. That was before the new fangled chemicals, so they may be better. You have to use a pre-1982 penny as they are solid copper. The newer ones are copper clad.

Gene

13. abcd

abcd Member

Rust in the metal is like rust on a car , once it there it is always in the metal ,have the gun K coated , The base of K coat is phos acid, its stops the rust,

14. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Forget the oil, just use dry 000 or 0000 steel wool. If the rust is surface rust it will come right off,,, done it 100's of times.

If the rust is deeper it will still come off but will leave a white spot(which is actually a pit starting to form) where it had ate thru the bluing. Simply use some Birchwood Casey cold blue on a Q-tip to touch it up. It is simple and should take 2 minutes to do.

Once you've got all the rust spots taken care of then oil the shit out of the gun and let it sit for a day so the metal can soak up some oil.

Gun Blue is nothing more than colored rust. I have a book with about 300 different recipes for everyting from Citric Acid Blue (light aqua) to dark blue , to browns , to purples, plums etc.

DO NOT use a kitchen pad (Scotch Brite) under any circumstances!!!!!!!!!! it will take the rust, the blue, and some metal with it, and leave you with a finish you can do absolutely nothing with, but start over from the beginning. IE: send it out for rebluing.

Randy