1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust on stainless

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ryan_687, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan_687

ryan_687 TS Member

Havent posted in a while because I havent had time to shoot!!! Its been at least 3 months Im working nearly 50hrs each week! Cant complain though...at least until I looked at my gun. I have a beretta 687 from joel etchen guns. For those 3 months I made the mistake of leaving the gun in the hard case with the sleves over it. When I took it out I noticed some rust on the recevier, the front part of the forend, and where the barrel and recevier touch when the gun is closed. I used 00 steel wool and it didnt do much of anything. Is there anywhere I can send the gun and have it cleaned up! I saved forever to get this gun and made the mistake of leaving in the case for too long and Im so upset about it haha If anyone knows of somewhere to send it please let me know!!! lol any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I feel for you. There is nothing like opening up your case and seeing rust on your gun. Metal damage is so permanent. Wood can usually be fixed. Jim "Whiz" White told me about this stuff. He says it works very well. I have not tried it yet but if I know Jim , he knows his stuff about guns. He is also a very nice guy. Click the link above. Jon

3. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

In the 80's i worked in a foundry that used a machine that blew dry ice pellets to clean aluminum molds. I heard it works on dull stainless gun parts that were rusted.don't know the co's name but you might try google or a foundry in your area.

4. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I used this on a stainless Savage rifle once with the same problem, it's called CVA barrel blaster...worked great. Just use a rag and it'll wipe off with a lil elbow grease.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Is your receiver really Stainless Steel, if so you can use white vinegar and a fine scotch pad rubbing lightly. Stainless steel is just that stainless, not stain or rust proof. As far as I'm concerned ditch the steel wool and use either scotch pads or bronze wool available at most marine stores (West Marine)

The vinegar passivates the carbon molecules, the pad removes the bleeding.

Surfer

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Your beretta isn't stainless. Its either plated, or raw steel (sounds like raw steel to me, since plating should prevent it from rusting unless its worn through). And keep the vinegar away from anything blued, it's as effective a bluing stripper as anything else.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Stainless Steel does or can rust. My whole family wortked at a steel mill where they make nothing but stainless and I learned a lot about it, different grades etc. Never, ever leave a gun in an air tight case after you get home. Not ever

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If its a 687 silver pidgeon gun, its nickel plated. The plating from Beretta is very poor and I've had to replate several of them.

Doug

9. dead on 4

Yes! vinegar will strip bluing away as it's a mild acid. And yes again stainless does not do well with lack of oxygen, this why stainless is never used as under water gear on boats, it degrades fron the inside out. That's why I asked is your receiver really stainless.

Surfer

10. burtona

burtona Member

Actually, lots of stainless is used underwater on boats. Shafts, props, coolers, piping, rudders, struts, fasteners, etc.

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

I think a lot depends on the grade of the stainless. I retired from a paper mill and some of our products were used by the food industry. All of our piping had to be "food grade". There is stainless piping in that mill that is over 50 years old that gets wet inside and out with various chemicals and there is never a speck of rust anywhere.

ctreay

12. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Good grade s/s does not rust. Sometimes steel close to it will rust and bleed onto the stainless. Lower grades will rust a little but I have never seen it more than just a surface rust that scotch brite pads will remove.

13. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

what i would do is take old 555 polish compound or jewelers rouge on wet paper towel and rub. if u have the touch and a buffer this will solve your problem. if it doesnt come off it rusted pretty ugly. u can get 555 from brownells i use jewelers rouge and its about the same. and it doesnt stretch any lettering.

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The above link is your lesson tonight on Stainless Steel. Different grades of stainless steel have different amounts of carbon steel in them. Pure stainless steel with the least amount of carbon steel is very difficult to work with and is not good in many applications because purer grades of stainless steel, while tough, is impossible to harden and it does not return when deformed (spring like).

Manufacturers use different amounts of carbon steel to get the properties they desire. I would not think pure stainless would work well for receivers and barrels.

Do not use steel wool on stainless. The steel wool will leave microscopic steel particles embedded in the pores of the original metal. The steel wool left behind will quickly rust and you will have quite and eyesore.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Good grade s/s does not rust."

In fact that is dead wrong. Even premium grade corrosion resistant 316 stainless can oxidize into a reddish brown color (i.e. "rust"), especially if it's cast instead of wrought. It can also be somewhat magnetic. Yes that's right, a low 300 series stainless steel can be magnetic. Your high school shop teacher was full of crap.

The good news is that oxidized SS can usually be cleaned up using ScotchBrite, going from coarse, to medium, to fine grade.

-Gary

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

FWIW, stainless that is commonly used in the manufacture of firearms, usually 416 is not, not, considered high grade stainless....it is best known and desired for its machine ability. It's rather soft compared to regular stainless.

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Ever see a stainless steel sink rust? No

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bernie,

Actually we just changed a SS sink in a friends house that had several tiny rust spots. This was not some modern day junk. I also have two SS tables that came from a butcher that closed. They both have some rust spots. These are tables from a market that had been there for 65 years. As stated above, there are many grades of SS.

19. dead on 4

Burtona, Monel yes, Stainless no

Surfer

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

304 stainless steel will oxidize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.