1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RUST ON MY GUN!! How can I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by brian meyerhofer, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I just pulled a couple of my guns out of the cabinet that don't get shot very often. I found rust on 1 of them, on the barrel and vent rib. Not bad, no pitting, but it left some color difference. What is the best way to remove this without hurting the finish? There must have been some water drops on it or something before I put it away. I am upset with myself for letting this happen, now how do I fix it?

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

Try a gun polish like Flitz.

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

4 000 steel wool and polish with wd40.

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Steel wool usually takes the blue off with the rust. Brownells had a stainless steel "brillo-type pad" that worked with a LOT of oil. Took the rust and left the finish if you didn't get to "wild" with it. You can't oil to much when using any abrasive or scratcher. If there is no pitting, try just WD40 and a rag after you rub in and soak in the real oil to the spots. ...merlyn...

5. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

#2 lead pencil. Works like a charm and will not hurt the rest of the bluing. Used it several times w great results. Rick Gibbs

6. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

Rick,
    I am interested in the pencil lead method. Do you scribble on the rusted area with the pencil? Use and oil with it?
    -Brian

7. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I fixed some small rust spots on a friends .410. I used a steel? pad from Midway USA, customer service should be able to tell you, and WD-40. I removed the WD with a cleaner and applied cold blue. Worked perfectly. The material looks like a round ball of steel strips. If you want me to dig a little more let me know. Michael and Jane

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

brian meyerhofer:

Easy fix

Powder coat it or use oven baked paint.

matainece free just wipe off the black around the porting and shoot Rain or shine.

Foggy

9. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Bryan, this is an old gunsmith trick. The lead is a very mild abrasive! Just scribble over the spots with a lead pencil, then wipe with oil. This will not damage the good bluing, but it won't remove the rust in deep pits. That takes steel wool w/kroil and a bit of rubbing.

Foggy, who did that powder coat job for you? I may try a "Skunk Grade" project myself. Rick Gibbs

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

k1200ltc509

Ok just a local friend but as you can tell from the color it's half and half ok the front half is powder coated and the reciever part was done with the oven baked type of paint I might get it all powder coated in the future.

I got a friend that said he would do the rest but im sure any of the powder coat guys that are good could do it even though it is white on the barrel and is ported also all I have to do is just wipe the black dust off from the ports and it's brand new again.

Ok it makes a good night gun the above picture was took in complete dark and the flash of the camera is what made it look like the lights was on.

Foggy

11. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

An old trick is gun oil and cigarette ash.
    Wet down the rust with gun oil. Drop some cigarette ash on the rust and rub the ash in with a Q tip. Repeat the oil and ash until the rust is gone. Doesn't hurt to change Q tips when one gets black. The cigarette ash is abrasive enough to cut the rust, but it won't cut the bluing.
    Dan

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Break Free seems to get under the rust and allow very fine steel wool to remove it.

I have also used the lead wipe cloth to good effect.

HM

13. jclamp

jclamp TS Member

Brian,

I used to have that problem when I left a hunting gun sit too long after using it.

I used the eraser on a pencil and then oiled the spot.(actually the whole gun.)

That will remove any surface rust.

Jere

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hmmm ... powder coated gun ... I have never thought of that idea before. As long as the powder coater could seal the actions up good enough so as to not get any on the actions/interiors it would be a great way for an almost maintaince free finish.

How does the action of the slide work with the powder coating or is the mag tube part of the heat baked painted area?

15. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Fog

White powder coating? ugh!!!!!!

Berettaman7

16. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Don't clean it off, they shoot better with some rust on them! :D

17. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

In Foggy's honor, I painted the lumber on my Citori a metalic gray from the Wal-Mart collection complete with a black foamy cheek-eeze pad and "christened" it the "POSSUM-GRADE RICE GRINDER". WOW............merlyn.......

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rust is like a metal cancer, once it gets a foot in the door, total removal is the only way to stop it. Leaving the smallest speck will continue growing. I've always removed enough metal to make sure I got all the rust, then re-blue the part or whole gun. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you get rid of rust on a gun

how to get rid of rust on guns